Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Has anyone Co-Op planted Anise (or OTHERS) in their grow beds, to deter pests?

I'm told anise can be a great aphic deterrent among other things.  I am using a weekly or bi-weekly spray of 3-in-1 organicide, and has been working well -- However other preventative measures are always a good thing in my humble opinion.

Anise shrubs are not cheap.  Wondering if it's worth investing in one or two, either one for each bed, or one for both, planted on the edge of one (in between & close to both)

thoughts?

Views: 267

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

why not just buy one and clone it?

I'm still trying to ascertain IF IT WORKS..  no use cloning things which take up room in the beds if they dont work.. right??  Does this method work?

By "anise shrubs" I presume you're talking about star anise (Illicium)? Because fennel plants ("true" anise seed) wouldn't described as shrubs and they certainly wouldn't be expensive.

I'm curious about where you are pricing star anise, because I've been trying to find one-- for our botanical collection at my school.

Jeff

Sad... a month later I still haven't obtained an answer to the original question...  :(

What's sad about it?  Why not try it and let us know?

Nick Scud said:

Sad... a month later I still haven't obtained an answer to the original question...  :(

what's sad George,  is the lack of quality and/or Care in the answers on this forum (or perhaps, the LACK thereof)...   It IS sad, 'cause there are a few people who give GREAT answers [*AND take the time to READ the original question], however I imagine they (Like ME) might have already found the same issue, and stopped posting answers.  Sad.    **(To the FEW of you, like Jim and Vlad, THANK YOU, sirs.)

.. Maybe you should read my original question, consider your own answer, and perhaps it'll click..

this is a deep disappointment to me, since I am passionate about aquaponics, and feel there is a lack of passion in the answers and replies to questions on this forum - NOT just my own, but IN GENERAL.  I belong to many forums, and there are certainly good ones and bad ones -- However I LOOK to these forums to find out answers -- People who have been-there/done-that and ARE NOT afraid to share their experiences to help others save time and mistakes..   *(your answer of "why not try it and report back") suggests that my disappointment is FOUNDED:  I'm not looking to experiment and screw things UP, I'm looking to DO IT RIGHT based on REAL EXPERIENCE, and not guess my way into Possible practical solutions. 

Thankfully, there ARE other resources out there, and there ARE places to find these answers, from like-minded poeple - Poeple who actually DO care about results, even if they don't know you from Adam.  Sadly, I have not found this here (or HARDLY at all - Just really from a few key people), and that's why I am going to simply stop asking. 

Another good example:  I even tried posting a good source to get stalite TO HELP PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM (2 years ago!)..  I got nothing by cheap-skate inquiries and BS!!   Now, two years later I'm still getting (occasional) emails on where to guy it.  SAD, once again.   Again, to the few top-notchers who always share advice, THANK YOU - my system has experienced better success because of your help, and I'm sad there are not more people like you, to help make this forum great, and effective!!

I hope my post is not offensive to anyone - it is, as they say "just the facts"....  

Nick, I can tell your that I did not respond simply because I do not know the answer. I'm not all that sure that it is an effective use of space. Unless of course you plan to use the anise itself. You might have to plant alot of it to really deter pests. And that is if it works.

"Has anyone Co-Op planted Anise (or OTHERS) in their grow beds, to deter pests?"

I have never grown Anise.

"thoughts?"

I enjoy the scent of anise and most wild spices. I know it is often added to sports fishing bait. Thus, if trout enjoy it, I am interested in one day growing some along AP streams, to add to a home grown feed for them.

Until then, I really don't know enough to answer your questions with much more than a "no" and a "yes"

I hope this helps.

Pat, thanks for your perspective & insight.  Yours is about the best answer I got so far -- And addresses the point of the question in the first place:  IS IT WORTH EVEN TRYING to plant anise for pest protection, aversion?   (the answer would seem to be NO, btw - too bad it took over a month to get to that!!  lol)

I agree with you completely BTW - If I dont know and answer, I just won't post - OR, sometimes I'll sorta post a "Wow, Great question- I dont know, but I'll try to find out and be back" - and ,9.5 times outta 10, I DO come back with an answer too!!    But that goes back to the point of my concern:  When good people Go away, and when Good Answers can no longer be found, THAT is when a forum is no longer functional & ultimately dies.  I've been a member of countless forums in countless hobbies & interests, and I HAVE SEEN THEM COME AND GO!!   -- I DO NOT WANT THIS FOR THE AQUAPONIC FORUM!  but I hope what I'm seeing is NOT a sign of the beginning of the end, already!!

THAT is my bigger point:   The tragedy is that there Used To Be many people who DO know the answers, and who just got tired of seeing what I"m seeing and they've gone away ( no longer sharing their insight).  This is sad for EVERYBODY on the forum - because we can all be having better success and making less mistakes if those people would share there knowledge.  They see trite/terse answers, a lack of passion and care and ultimately go away and find it elsewhere (I guess?)..  I haven't started looking yet, but that's also sad -- I'm inclined to start!

To the original question:  Anise is hard to find and expensive here, as I've mentioned -  and separately, [to your point]  not even sure if it'll be effective unless heavily planted (which would be a deal breaker for my veggies in the growbeds!)..  So although it took me over a month to get to the answer, Thank You, and the answer would be "NO, it is NOT worth trying to plant anise".  Not this late in the growing season, at least not without knowing more.  Lol..  maybe next year.. 

Anyhow- hope to see some more supportive answers (in general, for EVERYBODY!)  otherwise I guess I'll be going away too.   Hope it doesn't pan out that way, but that's where I'm at...

Jeffrey - good question.. another one I was hoping to get - I BELIEVE it's star anise..  (what they use to make anisette, if that helps any) but I don't know!!   (I dont Think they make that out of fennel!, do they??)..  whatever 'they' DO make it from though, THAT is what it is!!  Is that indeed star anise??

Jeffrey Ihara said:

By "anise shrubs" I presume you're talking about star anise (Illicium)? Because fennel plants ("true" anise seed) wouldn't described as shrubs and they certainly wouldn't be expensive.

I'm curious about where you are pricing star anise, because I've been trying to find one-- for our botanical collection at my school.

Jeff

Has anyone Co-Op planted Anise (or OTHERS) in their grow beds, to deter pests?

I have no idea.

What I do is either knock pests off with a hard spray of water or hand pick and feed to fish depending on the pest.  This has worked well for me for a long time.  I don't buy anything for pest control or use any other methods.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service