Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Researchers measuring the "dead zone" in the Gulf of Mexico say it is currently about 3,300 square miles but some scientists say it could become much larger......

Every time I read something like this, it's becoming more obvious, that aquaponics is the way to go.

Read the rest of the article here.... 

http://www.disasternews.net/news/article.php?articleid=4244

Views: 160

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

we just need to figure out how to do saltwater aquaponics.
salmon/trout with kelp!  there are loads of different edible seaweeds.
Just need to get some one with the facilities to test it out and figure out some of the details I guess.  Algae may also be an option.  Perhaps mangroves.  Seems to me that other than the algae, most of the saltwater options will be on more of a mega scale since doesn't kelp need quite a bit of depth to really grow like it should?  I don't know many people with 70 foot deep plant beds or even beds big enough to grow mangroves.

I was thinking more along the lines of,  keeping nitrogen run off out of the rivers, Think how much must run into the Mississippi...?

Years ago, I remember hearing one of the animal feed companies (purina ?) was growing shrimp in salt water ponds (It wasn't in the States...in AU maybe? ) and they were so successful, they started to sell it for human consumption.

Maybe a different approach would be needed, instead of plants, or in the addition to them....have shell fish help filter the water....?

Well I know muscles and clams filter water but you can't expect animals to remove all the nitrogen from the water, most of them are eating the detritus and still giving off some ammonia.

However, algae culture or something like duckweed could probably remove most ammonia/nitrogen and if not edible directly it could be good soil fertilizer provided it isn't too salty.

In regards to raising duckweed in salt water, here are a few excerpts  from...

http://www.fao.org/Ag/AGAInfo/resources/documents/DW/Dw2.htm

Some species appear to tolerate saline waters but they do not concentrate sodium ions in their growth. The apparent limit for growth appears to be between 0.5 and 2.5% sodium chloride for Lemna minor...

Sodium requirements

Sea salt (9kg/ha/d) has been applied as part of a fertiliser program in pilot studies of duckweed farming in Bangladesh (see the discussion of PRISM's work in Chapter 6). This work suggested a good ability of duckweed to accumulate sodium as there was no apparent problems with salination. It appeared possible that duckweed removed up to 9kg salt/ha/d when grown under fairly optimal conditions, suggesting a potential for duckweed to rehabilitate saline land and water.........

Hi David,

Great document on duckweed a valuable resource! Thanks. I'm seeing there is a trust toward algae production especially by the pharmaceutical companies utilizing both fresh and saltwater ponds. I think that these algae are a more complete food and will play a vital role for future human consumption.

there are so many different kinds of kelp....and all kelp/seaweed are algae.  and kelp grows even faster than bamboo!

Thanks Harold...'I think" I may have gotten that duckweed file from Sylvia (?)

Good points by Harold and Averan.

Sorry, I have a weird sense of humor...when Harold mentioned pharmaceutical companies making food from algae.I started laughing, it reminded me of the old sci-fi..."Soylent Green"

LOL.  Hum, but what are they feeding the algae??????  (Reference to "Soylent Green")

Hi All,

Forget about Aquaponics, what about Algaponics?

http://shareable.net/blog/is-algae-the-shareable-answer-to-food-ene...

lol @TCL....talk about your complete food circle

...I think the 'green' wafers were supposedly made from...."plankton"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service