Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I am not positive this is a new idea so has anyone ever done this?

Burlap is food grade (probably only if not treated with nasty chemicals) so I was thinking of lining grow beds with pond liner (DuraSkrim) and burlap on top of that in order to make sure my lava rock medium would not puncture the pond liner. This gave me the idea for a shallow grow bed that would have the water flow above the gravel before draining (about a quarter of an inch maybe less). I would then put down burlap and cover the entire surface with seeds for sprouting. I would probably grow wheat grass in this fashion because it might be able to get to juicing size without having to even touch it, ever, but any type of sprouts would probably work.

Shade would probably be needed and that could be done with some more burlap or anything that is cheaper..

Any thoughts are welcome.

Here is the source I found for large rolls of burlap:LINK

Views: 853

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like a sound idea Jason.  I'm currently playing with "SureTo-Grow" media with good results in 1020 trays but I like your idea.  Keep us posted!

Thanks William. It won't be happening for a little while cause I have a lot to accomplish with setting up my system and all but I encourage anyone who likes it to try it out.

William Hall said:

Sounds like a sound idea Jason.  I'm currently playing with "SureTo-Grow" media with good results in 1020 trays but I like your idea.  Keep us posted!

most burlap is non-treated.. im not sure you would puncture 20 mm Dura Skrim with lava rock, even if you try. honestly, i think you would be fine with out it.

as for growing the wheat grass, you can just use the burlap on a try with out gravel at all.

if i recall, its the tighter, 10 oz weave that holds the seeds best.   ...i just used burlap in a 10 x 20 tray with excellent results.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service