Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I built a grow bed for use with my 55 gallon tank using 3/4" plywood and a liner.  It will be housed in my basement.  I have the bell siphon built and am ready to install  and test.  The problem I am having is with the "bulkhead" going through the bottom of the bed.  My intention was to fashion the bulkhead using 1" threaded pieces and o-rings to connect the stand pipe to the drain plumbing underneath.  The problem I am running into is that I can't find any threaded pvc that have long enough threads to make the connection through the plywood.  There must be and easy answer to this but I haven't been able to find it.  Can any of you experienced aquapons point me in the right direction?

Views: 238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Drill a hole where the pluming is suppose to be in the plywood and be sure to leave enough room for tools?

I solved this by cutting a square out of the 3/4 stock and affixing 1/4 inch plywood for the bulkhead fitting.

I cover it in this part of my video series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D_cLtmpXZ0

Why not buy a bulkhead fitting? Try Aquatic eco systems.

PS Please don't call me an aquapon...

Thanks Jonathan!  I knew someone would have an answer for me.  I will give it a try this week.  I enjoyed your video series!

I usually use a big hole saw to cut a nice size working hole in the wood and then use a thinner piece of plastic as a backing for the liner and the bulkhead or uniseal fitting.

I no longer use liner against lumber though but all my systems are outdoors in termite territory.  Even pressure treated wood is not really proof against termite trouble when liner is against it making a perfect moist place for pests.

My pleasure... I have learned so much from the community and it feels good to pass it on.

Farrel Stauffer said:

Thanks Jonathan!  I knew someone would have an answer for me.  I will give it a try this week.  I enjoyed your video series!

Just realized you are using liner >_< For some reason i thought you were supporting the 55 gal drums cut in half with plywood.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service