Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

New setup in the space of a one car garage. A combination of Aquaponics and hydroponics. Custom built using wood framing, 3 and 4 inch pvc, 8' cattle feed bunks and stock water tank. More piks on facebook at:

Dave Howe

Otterponics   ("if you don't grow in water...you otter")

Lee's Summit, Mo

Views: 301

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sweet! Nice and clean set up!
Excellent! Well done...very clean :-)

Dave, looks like you are going to have to give the tomatoes more space. I am looking at "dutch buckets" for doing mine...what thought if any do you have re possible planters for more space?

Actually thats as big as those little cherry tomato plants get. They're very sturdy, compact and produce an unbelievable amount of fruit. I am considering adding more plant space in and around this system. The volume of water will allow it without straining or starving the existing system. Maybe some buckets around the stock tank or I am considering a 6" diameter pvc 4' verticle pipe standing in the center of the fish tank. Just not sure about a grow light right over the tank (I may have to add 30 spf sunscreen to the water and issue shades to all the fish..heh heh).

Really clean indoor setup, nice! How long has it been running? What are you doing for filtration to the NFT (assuming) pipes? Any problems with the small feeder tubes clogging? What about the ratios,  gravel beds to NFT sites to fish. I'm thinking of a similar setup, adding on to my system with some 5"X5" pvc fence posts I have from my hydro days.

Thank you for that compliment. The pvc pipe system is hydroponic at this point. No filtration and no clogging. If I were to convert (and I will after I get moved) I would install pre-pump filtration of some sort or I am quite sure fish waste would clog the small feeder tubes. The bottom 4" pvc tubes are fed with 3/4 inch pvc with holes drilled in the bottom pointing down (see attached pik) ....

Jubilee Persky said:

Really clean indoor setup, nice! How long has it been running? What are you doing for filtration to the NFT (assuming) pipes? Any problems with the small feeder tubes clogging? What about the ratios,  gravel beds to NFT sites to fish. I'm thinking of a similar setup, adding on to my system with some 5"X5" pvc fence posts I have from my hydro days.

Attachments:

Oh, that makes sense nice simple manifold setup. After a lot of research on this site and others, I think the way I'm going is fish tank > overflows to gravel beds (solids filter) > clean water sump > fish tank  (CHOP system, I already have set up) Then I'm thinking I'm going to run another circuit out of the sump and filter it further to the tubes and back to the sump.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service