Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Does anyone know an easy way to determine if my granite gravel is ok to use in media beds? I seem to recall a simple "put it water with xxx" and watch the reaction (if any). Thanks.

Views: 469

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doh. Just found it. Place granite in VINEGAR and see if it fizzes (bad). Also leave in water for several days and wach Ph.

Hi Blue. I was curious, did you do the test and what were the results? Are you thinking of using the smaller "drainage stone" from your local stone yard? Greg

Yes, I am going to use 1/2-3/4 granite gravel. In Maine we have a lot and it is cheap. Did the vinegar reactive test (no fizz-good) and also have a simple in my water to watch Ph.
We use 3/4" granite on the bottom 6" and 1/2" granite on the top 6". Works great! When the system goes acidic, add 3/4" river rock (not pea gravel.. Too small) up to 30 % by volume.. Be sure it is stired into the top six inches or so... It needs to make contact with the water. We haven't adjusted pH in as long as I can remember.
What is, if any, the specific reason the system "goes acidic"?

Rob Nash said:
"When the system goes acidic, add 3/4" river rock (not pea gravel.. Too small) up to 30 % by volume..
Noticed there are micro bubbles coming off granite in test water. Is that normal off gassing?

the nitrification process causes the system to "go acidic"

Ok, so what, if any, effect does the river rock have on the acidity? Thanks.
Very informative. Thanks!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service