Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Germinating for highest and best When you seed your own Trays

When to choose certain plants Meaning which season?

How to choose the best sprouted plants?

What size tray to use?

What media to start them in?

Is polymer ok?

Is rock wool ok?

Views: 235

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Try a few different things and see what works best for you.

Some types of seeds will germinate better in different situations than other types of seeds.

I use peat pellets or home made blocks but I know others using oasis and some use rock wool and then many people simply seed directly into the media.  If you are thinning, you keep the strongest seedlings and snip the others.  It all kinda depends on what your goals are and where you are planting.

Thank you , we find that certain seed are tempeture driven?

We also use a 72 hole tray.

TCLynx said:

Try a few different things and see what works best for you.

Some types of seeds will germinate better in different situations than other types of seeds.

I use peat pellets or home made blocks but I know others using oasis and some use rock wool and then many people simply seed directly into the media.  If you are thinning, you keep the strongest seedlings and snip the others.  It all kinda depends on what your goals are and where you are planting.

Do you vacuum seed Adam, or hand seed??

Howdy, We hand seed every tray.  It makes for 100%  or darn close. Then we select for the top 50% so we germinate

2130 seeds every 5 days this gives me the chance to plant 5400 (3") net pots per cycle , the hotter months and longer light gets me a 21 day cycle, not every time , maybe 26 weeks of that kind of turn out, normal is 14 days in the trays, then 27 days in the system, we get 12 ounce heads of Sucrine, and 13-16 basil, that go to market, we stay sold out, god willing and the money holds out for Americans, in general things might get really bad if gas goes higher!!! my food prices will have to go down not up, counter thinking but true, we can sell for 60 cents and stay alive here. we average 3 dollars at the moment. both wholesale and farmers markets, i am in 6-7 markets a week, and have 1 wholesale customer, all my fish is retail and we sell 1450 bags a month and we are always sold out of fillets 2 to a bag average weight is 10 oz, per bag, and we always get 8 dollar a bag, never a struggle here, fish are 1.75 when the go to the butcher, we have our own process plant and mfg, lic, from the state.

Randall, thank you for the heads up, two fold, we have a one day seminar going to happen in mid May, for sure, and your never to old to get aquaponics going, so  www.globalaquaponics.net  fill out the contact portion  and i will give you a look see in the future, enjoy and please feel free to come, just fill out the entire contact form, your fellow aquanaut adam

Randall Wimbish said:

Hi Adam. I have looked at your profile and have seen your ads on craigslist. I drive to San Marcos and back several times a week for my work. I would love to be able to stop in some time and take a look at your farm. Trust me,I am too old to want to do what you do on a commercial basis, I have "been there done that" with the winegrape thing but I was thinking that I  might get some inspiration on a hobby level. Do you guys ever have time for people like me? 

For food safety reasons we do not have guest, 1  that are not on a call first basis , there are no pop ins here, thank you for the honk!!!!

Randall Wimbish said:

Hi Adam. It has been a long week and I don't feel like filling out any form right now and I am not really interested in a seminar. So for now I will honk the horn when I pass by.

Cheers! Honk Honk!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service