Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I would like to find out fellow AQ members opinions and standings as to Genetically Modified Fish (I guess seeds too although that would be under a different discussion).

Do you agree with it?
Would you grow genetically modified fish?
Would you eat genetically modified fish?
What if the FDA approved the genetic modification, would that change your stand?
I guess this then leads to the bigger question, do you trust decisions by the FDA?
Would your answer / opinion change if the FDA approved the genetically modified fish on the basis that not only were there no negative effects found during research trials, would increase food availability and allow the fish to be to be grown in greater climatic zones, but that all growers would have to be licensed and inspected to ensure that the do not release these fish back to the wild.?


Views: 194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am just going to have to grow my own. That the companies are working on getting the US forest service to put GMO trees on public land because they will (supposedly) take more carbon from the air into the roots as opposed to natural trees ! I am just crazy furious about it.
I no longer eat fish if I don't grow or catch it myself. I am working on a seed bank and growing my own veg year around now also. Why would I trust the FDA... it is just another company out for profit. Don't fool yourself into thinking it is a government authority. (if my information is right)
You voice needs to heard please...

Log in and state your opinion...as you can no doubt see from Tuesdays results, every vote counts...Thank you :-)

https://secure3.convio.net/cfs/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&...

Happy Holidays Friends.

 

So here is one of my 2011 "New Year" resolutions - Increase my Aquaponic food growing and Avoid GMO seeds & food/produce and become involved with movements with a goal of insisting labeling of  GMO products.

 

Here are a few links that I encourage you to watch. Hopefully, after watching such, you will share this 2011 New Year resolution of mine ;-)

 

 Danger of Genetically Modified Foods with Dr. OZ 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq5j5rUiJbc

 

The Health Dangers of Genetically Modified Foods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94d-KVorSHM

 

Monsanto: Farmer Suicides in India

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeboa4TR5Qo

I am just seeing this thread. I'm not on here as often.

I agree on all points with Two Jay, no to all questions... I am  opposed to GMO anything (one of the main reasons I am trying to get the fish off the commercial feed I have them on!). I definitely do not think the FDA is to be trusted as the one to be looking to for out health or well being. On a different topic, but many years ago read about the natural cures that have been found that the government keeps from the public... can't be patented therefore no money to be made from them..rather they promote/support synthetic drugs.

Two Jay said:

Short and easy..

No - Disagree - we don't like any GM products, fish, vegetables etc.
No - We will never intentionally grow any GM foods
No - Not intentionally
No - FDA ... huh, wha? They have approved other new species and look what's happening.
No - We do not trust the FDA but to give them the benefit of the doubt, I do not know enough about them.
No - We are not interested in creating new species, ones that could wipe out our hurting existing ones, etc.

We have no problems with hybrids through cross breeding of natural occurring species, shoot, look at the human race. We prefer heirloom varieties, natural strains of animals etc..

Without going into political, religious etc. reason, we (my entire family is convinced) that all GM products are just a really bad idea.

Now I will read all the other comments..lol

First, I agree that the FDA isn't doing it's job about the GMO stuff.

 

But on the other note.

I don't know that it's so much the government keeping the natural cures from the public but there are very few companies out there likely to pay for the clinical testing to make sure the "natural" cures are safe and effective. And without the testing, it is illegal to put medical claims on labels. Therefore very few "natural" cures get SOLD to the public as Natural Cures.

Keep in mind that most of our drugs we do have available actually are based on natural substances either refined and packaged or man made but based on the plant derived original (like aspirin.)


Michelle Silva said:

On a different topic, but many years ago read about the natural cures that have been found that the government keeps from the public... can't be patented therefore no money to be made from them..rather they promote/support synthetic drugs.

TCLynx,yes, I do think the government is keeping it from the public, as many have been proven and tested,but not going to  debate that.

TCLynx said:

First, I agree that the FDA isn't doing it's job about the GMO stuff.

 

But on the other note.

I don't know that it's so much the government keeping the natural cures from the public but there are very few companies out there likely to pay for the clinical testing to make sure the "natural" cures are safe and effective. And without the testing, it is illegal to put medical claims on labels. Therefore very few "natural" cures get SOLD to the public as Natural Cures.

Keep in mind that most of our drugs we do have available actually are based on natural substances either refined and packaged or man made but based on the plant derived original (like aspirin.)


Michelle Silva said:

On a different topic, but many years ago read about the natural cures that have been found that the government keeps from the public... can't be patented therefore no money to be made from them..rather they promote/support synthetic drugs.

I was wondering when something like this was going to happen...one way those promoting Genetically Modified Fish could just raise up their hands and say "Sorry...Act of God"...

 

Thousands of farmed salmon escape from cages

Published Tuesday January 11th, 2011

"ST. ANDREWS - Nets torn during heavy winds around Christmas allowed 138,000 small farmed salmon to escape from two floating sea cages off Grand Manan.

These escapees threaten wild Atlantic salmon with parasites and disease and by mixing genes with the native fish, Atlantic Salmon Federation (ASF) president Bill Taylor said in an interview.

The wind prevented Admiral Fish Farms Ltd. from recapturing any of the escaped fish, company president Glen Brown said in a written statement."

 

 

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/city/article/1369471

manufactured salmon has been escaping for over 25 years

A few years ago a spokesperson for one canada's largest salmon feed lots stated that it did not really matter about escapes because the fish are raised in round nets so they swim in circles
The farmed salmon industry is full of this calibre of spin doctors .They are paid to tell you how sustainable this type of business is .The usa is the biggest market for this type of fish,maybe if the public new about all the damages these fish cause .The general public would not be so keen to purchase .

And now we have a frankenfish,this fish will be hatched in canada grown in panama and sold in the usa ,eventually making it way back to canada under the nafta agreement

the canadian people would not accept this fish,but because of the nafta agreement we will eventually have to

never were there human trials of anykind

check the history of this company
Sahib Punjabi said:

I was wondering when something like this was going to happen...one way those promoting Genetically Modified Fish could just raise up their hands and say "Sorry...Act of God"...

 

Thousands of farmed salmon escape from cages

Published Tuesday January 11th, 2011

"ST. ANDREWS - Nets torn during heavy winds around Christmas allowed 138,000 small farmed salmon to escape from two floating sea cages off Grand Manan.

These escapees threaten wild Atlantic salmon with parasites and disease and by mixing genes with the native fish, Atlantic Salmon Federation (ASF) president Bill Taylor said in an interview.

The wind prevented Admiral Fish Farms Ltd. from recapturing any of the escaped fish, company president Glen Brown said in a written statement."

 

 

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/city/article/1369471

Important developments that need your input:

DOW is petitioning to allow a Genetically Modified Corn species resistant to the reagent 2,4,D in Herbicides so they can plush our food with it..

Proven in the Jungles of Vietnam as Part of Agent Orange!

Dow Chemical is seeking USDA approval for a genetically engineered (GE) version of corn that is resistant to 2,4-D, a herbicide that was used in the formulation of the highly toxic defoliant Agent Orange.  Agent Orange (half 2,4-D by composition) was extensively used in Vietnam by the military to destroy forests and crops.

Dow’s Christmas gift for America was formally announced, by the USDA, in the December 27, 2011 edition of the Federal Register.  If the federal government wants to bury something in the news, and burn up part of our window to publicly respond, you can bet they’ll do it around the holidays.  The public has 60 days to comment on Dow’s petition for deregulation, and can do so online at:

http://www.regulations.gov/#%21documentDetail;D=APHIS-2010-0103-0001

Read the full article at :

http://www.cornucopia.org/2011/12/action-alert-say-no-to-dow-chemic...

Thanks for the info Sahib

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service