Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I would like to find out fellow AQ members opinions and standings as to Genetically Modified Fish (I guess seeds too although that would be under a different discussion).

Do you agree with it?
Would you grow genetically modified fish?
Would you eat genetically modified fish?
What if the FDA approved the genetic modification, would that change your stand?
I guess this then leads to the bigger question, do you trust decisions by the FDA?
Would your answer / opinion change if the FDA approved the genetically modified fish on the basis that not only were there no negative effects found during research trials, would increase food availability and allow the fish to be to be grown in greater climatic zones, but that all growers would have to be licensed and inspected to ensure that the do not release these fish back to the wild.?

Views: 233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Genetically Modified Salmon Could Be On Your Plate Soon

September 20th, 2010 by Aaron Saenz

http://singularityhub.com/2010/09/20/genetically-modified-salmon-co...
Just incase you missed this in the article..."If the AAS becomes successful it is likely Aqua Bounty will follow up with transgenic trout and tilapia that it has under development. The AAS could also be followed by other genetically modified animals we’ve seen in the works such as the ‘enviropig‘ created to produce less environmental waste."

Interesting :-)

Sahib Punjabi said:
Genetically Modified Salmon Could Be On Your Plate Soon

September 20th, 2010 by Aaron Saenz

http://singularityhub.com/2010/09/20/genetically-modified-salmon-co...
Please don't let them approve the franken fish!

I'm not too happy about any genetically modified stuff. Old fashion selective breeding is one thing, sticking unrealted genes into plants or animals is quite another. Now if some one wants to study this stuff in a lab, I'm all for science but the big problem is some one convinced the government to accept these things as being the "same" and the natural ones and allowing them to be approved without further testing and so now most of our food has genetically modified corn, soy, canola, and beet sugar products in it if we like it or not and if we know it or not (since it is illegal to label if food is genetically modified because people wouldn't want to buy it then.) The genetically modified stuff is also being fed to our food animals.

I don't like it, I could rant on but I should probably stop!
Sahib, thanks for starting this thread! This is a very important topic to the aquaponics community and I'm very interesting in hearing what the community thinks as well. I am trying to reserve judgement and not immediately assume that because it is genetically modified that it is "bad", but I must confess that it is difficult. What worries me the most is that it could get out into the wild. At the very, very least this fish should only be raised in RAS, but I'm not even sure that is an option for salmon.
I believe far more testing needs to be done before they market this stuff as food.

And also, the possibility of escape into the wile from cage farmed salmon is way too high. As it is the hybred salmon being raised this way having escaped have already caused much harm.

And actually the scary part of much genetic engineering has to do with the insertion methods used and the possible interactions there that are not well enough understood to be considering these methods "the same as" regular food.
It seems that it has already been given the go ahead by the courts. I personally think that since there is not even an impact statement being given that they must have something to hide.
I am afraid that I already have an opinion about the frankenfoods. They use a virus to alter the genetic structure of the plant or animal as the virus carries the genes it is not supposed to have. I fear the viral mutation that happens every few hours.

Here is a link that gives some information about a gene that is passed from bacteria to other bacteria and humans... usually though hand to mouth contact. http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-09-14/news/24001908_1_drug-resistan...
These are the kind of science fiction things that worry me.
Margaret said:
I fear the viral mutation that happens every few hours.

Here is a link that gives some information about a gene that is passed from bacteria to other bacteria and humans... usually though hand to mouth contact. http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-09-14/news/24001908_1_drug-resistan...
These are the kind of science fiction things that worry me.

Worry me too, seeing as it really isn't science fiction anymore, it's real and here now.
Yep, science fiction has become science fact. I no longer eat salmon and anything else that I don't know who grew it and what it is ... really is. I have allergies and can't do the "this has the genes of jelly fish, but only a few will die from it" kind of logic.
Short and easy..

No - Disagree - we don't like any GM products, fish, vegetables etc.
No - We will never intentionally grow any GM foods
No - Not intentionally
No - FDA ... huh, wha? They have approved other new species and look what's happening.
No - We do not trust the FDA but to give them the benefit of the doubt, I do not know enough about them.
No - We are not interested in creating new species, ones that could wipe out our hurting existing ones, etc.

We have no problems with hybrids through cross breeding of natural occurring species, shoot, look at the human race. We prefer heirloom varieties, natural strains of animals etc..

Without going into political, religious etc. reason, we (my entire family is convinced) that all GM products are just a really bad idea.

Now I will read all the other comments..lol
I totally agree with you Lynx, for science, research etc....sure but don't feed it to my family or my animals which feeds my family! By the way, to find a local farmer that grows regular grains for our animals, without pesticides and non GMO etc. we have to drive about 85 miles each way and we live near the 2nd largest city in MI.
At the Very Very least it seems that genetically modified foods of Any sort (includes corn, soy, and salmon) need to be labeled so we can make a conscious choice instead of an unconscious mistake.

I am so happy to read the opinions of fellow AQ buddies...all largely on the same path. Thank you Too Jay for answering the question survey style as asked. My personal thoughts are akin to those posted and I believe that Kobus has given the main "economic" logic to such developments (:

Please keep posting your thoughts as this is too important a subject to ignore.

Here is another interesting article from a Blog I occasionally read:

http://www.justmeans.com/Frankenfish-salmon-of-doubt/31965.html

Do you have to inject various genes etc in a lab or could you not just try "Natures Way" by trying cross-breeding...just look at the varieties of Tilapia.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service