Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I have a 275 gallon system as seen above. The tilapia are in the large tank at the right side of the picture and all three gravel beds drain into sump tank. I was wondering if I could use the sump tank(75 gallons max) to grow an edible/sizable type of freshwater shrimp, prawn, or crayfish that will thrive in the same conditions as tilapia and will reproduce in captivity. The sump tank is separate from the fish, so they will not be bothered or eaten. Any suggestions?

Views: 4750

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

shrimp, prawn and crayfish all need lots of space

that being said, i have hundreds of marmokrebs, latest batch of babies will be going into the swimming pool with the fish soon (they're 1/4"-1/2" long now), most will get eaten, but there are already a few dozen too large to be fish food in the pool, 3 berried females went into the pool last week.. they don't get as big as the australian crayfish, but they are tasty, and i think my yp will keep the population in check

Thanks for the suggestion, Keith. I've done some reading on the marmorkrebs and I think they are a good match as long as they are good for human consumption. So, where ca I get a hold of one of these? I've only found one place online and the price was really high ~$45 with shipping. Where did you get yours from?

Keith Rowan said:

shrimp, prawn and crayfish all need lots of space

that being said, i have hundreds of marmokrebs, latest batch of babies will be going into the swimming pool with the fish soon (they're 1/4"-1/2" long now), most will get eaten, but there are already a few dozen too large to be fish food in the pool, 3 berried females went into the pool last week.. they don't get as big as the australian crayfish, but they are tasty, and i think my yp will keep the population in check

they're fine for eating.. you just need lots to make a meal..

i got my first for free from aquabid when i bought some gammarus (scuds) - i've seen them on ebay for $5 or so.. if you're near cleveland  ohio i could give you a couple

Thanks for tipping me off to aquabid! Just got 10 for $10. I look forward to seeing how well they do.

Keith Rowan said:

they're fine for eating.. you just need lots to make a meal..

i got my first for free from aquabid when i bought some gammarus (scuds) - i've seen them on ebay for $5 or so.. if you're near cleveland  ohio i could give you a couple

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service