Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I have just drained my system. My tap water tests at 4.0 and I filled my system with it. Have been fighting with it since June 1st. So we refilled yesterday with water that has a PH value of 7.0. I would like to get cycled so I can add fish by the end of September. I have a 300 gallon fish tank. In all my system holds 800 gallons of water. I was thinking of ordering the Aquacycle medum fishless cycling kit (100 - 300 gallons). Has anyone used this? Is medium enough for a 300 gallon tank or should I go with the large? Also, does this kit work like it says it does? thanks

Views: 309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

with fresh water, i don't think you'll be cycled in 3 weeks.. don't waste your money on the "fishless cycling kit",  you can get a quart of "pure" ammonia (with no surfectants or aroma - shake the bottle, if it foams it's no good) for a dollar..

Well, I've never used Aquacycle, but it is feasible that your tank could be cycled by the end of September given everything goes well...I know that Aquaponic Source has a cycling kit as well, but I haven't tried it or anything. Usually cycling kits introduce a bunch of bacteria to "jumpstart" your system's cycling process. Shouldn't really matter what size in my opinion. Seven weeks plus a head start with a cycling kit will more than likely be enough time.

Oh...Aquacycle is Aquaponic Source. Lol, got it.Shoulda known.

Hey, I was just asking Don't know anything about aquacycle .that's why i asked..I tried cycling the first time with pure ammonia...would have worked if I had know my tap water that i filled my 800 gallon system with was a PH value of 4.0...My mistake for not testing my tap water first...Just asking the experts for advice!

And Keith, a bottle of ammonia and a cycling kit are not the same thing. A cycling kit gives you a jumpstart in bacteria population by providing an actual bottle of nitrifying bacteria. The Aquacycle kit comes with a few other things as well, like powdered ammonia and powdered seaweed. Now, you're right in saying that it's not completely necessary, but just using ammonia won't get your system to cycle faster. You would need to get a hold of cycling bacteria from somewhere else, like using water or media from someone else's already cycled system.

Keith Rowan said:

with fresh water, i don't think you'll be cycled in 3 weeks.. don't waste your money on the "fishless cycling kit",  you can get a quart of "pure" ammonia (with no surfectants or aroma - shake the bottle, if it foams it's no good) for a dollar..

I used Nite out several times...

i'd be leary of "nite out" just from reading these two lines on the msds

Bioaccumulative potential: Not Likely

Aquatic Toxicity: Not Known

unfortunately, most "bacteria in a bottle" are bunk..the bacteria has no shelf life to speak of and would need aeration to live "in the bottle"... i've worked with a pond owner that purchased "bottled bacteria" (very expensive)... but these must be shipped overnight and used immediately..

most "aquaria" products are not meant for systems where you would eat either the plants or fish

well, i have already spent too much money on the system and the startup instructions( a joke from the company i bought from) i will just wait it out now...my gtow is strictly indoors and i will make it work.  thanks for all your help!  sherrie

Good point about shelf life. I guess the real question would be: "Are the Aquacycle kits stored on the shelf and for how long?"...Sylvia?

Keith Rowan said:

unfortunately, most "bacteria in a bottle" are bunk..the bacteria has no shelf life to speak of and would need aeration to live "in the bottle"... i've worked with a pond owner that purchased "bottled bacteria" (very expensive)... but these must be shipped overnight and used immediately..

most "aquaria" products are not meant for systems where you would eat either the plants or fish

what do you suggest for cycling then? just wait it out? I've waited this long so another couple of months maybe?  sherrie

Alex Veidel said:

Good point about shelf life. I guess the real question would be: "Are the Aquacycle kits stored on the shelf and for how long?"...Sylvia?

Keith Rowan said:

My ammonia level is .50 ppm and of course nitrites are 0. I have a 300 gallon fish tank and between the fish tank the 2 media beds and the 2 floating raft beds and 2 sump tanks the system holds 800 gallons of water. I need to raise the ammonia level don't I? How much ammonia should I ad?

If you want to give your tank a jumpstart, personally, I would recommend you go with Aquacycle. I've never used it myself, but as far as I am aware, The Aquaponic Source doesn't create products that don't do their job well. I highly doubt it's your typical commercialized "jar o' bacteria" that's been sitting on shelf for weeks and weeks, which is what Keith was referring to.

sherrie p cockram said:

what do you suggest for cycling then? just wait it out? I've waited this long so another couple of months maybe?  sherrie

Alex Veidel said:

Keith Rowan said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service