Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I just lost 3 tilapia yesterday, and one a couple days before that, out of about 25 in this tank. For the life of my I can't figure out why they died.  They were all about 3 - 4" long and I've had them since mid-December.  pH = 7, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels all close to zero, temp - 72 F.  and plenty of oxygen.  A clue to the mystery, though, is that I've lost fish inexplicably in this tank before, and it is the only system we used PVC glue in. Could that be it?  I've included a couple photos from my iPhone...hopefully they aren't as crazy big as they look now!

Views: 917

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps the water was contaminated with some sort of disease? Is there a buildup of sludge on the bottom of the tank? What kind of tank are you using? How long have you had the fish?

I don't think it would be the PVC glue. We drink from pipes that use that glue all the time. I have done a fair amount of reading on the subject, and I have never heard anybody warn against using PVC due to problem with fish kills.

David
Thanks, David. The funny thing is not only have things stabilized and no more fish deaths, but I swear the remaining fish are happier and eating much better. The going theory in our house now is that the 3 fish that died were just obnoxious and hated, and the other fish had them murdered. Best I can do for now.

Sylvia
As long as you used a food-safe PVC glue without an anti-molding agent, that shouldn't be an issue - especially since everyone else is happy. They could have just gotten a random infection, had internal parasites, or had a swim-bladder infection. I know of constipation killing some fish.
I agree. I"m just going to chalk it up to "one of those things" at this point. Thanks, guys for your thoughts
It could be, if its a mixed tank with males and females, agressive males will kill the females if they are not in the mood. Also the females will go into the hiding and die from stress. I have had them comit suicide by trying to jump out of the tank hit thier heads on the top of the tank. The 72 is a little low I try to keep my tanks at least 75 degrees or above. Better for the fish not real great for the plants but they seem to tolorate it.
Might want to throw some 5-6" pieces of 4"pvc pipe into the tank. That gives them little condo's that they can go hide in if someone is being aggressive! Like Earl said they are getting to the mating size and the males can just drive the females crazy. See how us guys are!

Earl ward said:
It could be, if its a mixed tank with males and females, agressive males will kill the females if they are not in the mood. Also the females will go into the hiding and die from stress. I have had them comit suicide by trying to jump out of the tank hit thier heads on the top of the tank. The 72 is a little low I try to keep my tanks at least 75 degrees or above. Better for the fish not real great for the plants but they seem to tolorate it.
Thanks for your thoughts, guys, but I've actually got all males. Haven't had any issue since those 3 died. They died shortly after being transferred from another tank - maybe stress.

Jeff Givan said:
Might want to throw some 5-6" pieces of 4"pvc pipe into the tank. That gives them little condo's that they can go hide in if someone is being aggressive! Like Earl said they are getting to the mating size and the males can just drive the females crazy. See how us guys are!

Earl ward said:
Anyone have any good solutions for ich?

I've currently raised the temp to 82 - 83F and I made sure my tank is salted. I do have invertebrates, so chemical selections are limited.
Salt to at least 3ppt... generally enough.... go to 6ppt... if there's any hint of finrot, or for "shock and awe....

That's if you don't have seedlings, strawberries, cucumbers... 3ppt will probably affect strawberries and cucumbers anyway

Maintain salt level for at least 1-2 weeks...

P.S. ... exactly what fish are you stocking.... some species wont tolerate higher salt levels...
This is my feeder fish tank, so I have aquatics - bamboo, temple plants, and an amazon sword. It's going to feed basil, lavender, and mint when this gets cleared, but I can dilute the water before planting. In it are 10 livebearers, 6 guppies, 3-4 guppy fry, 3 black neons, 3 dwarf rainbows, 2 otocincluses, about 4 red cherry shrimp, and a ghost shrimp (just one, because of the fry).

So, to get 6ppt in a 20 gallon, how much salt is that?
Emma Lysyk said:
So, to get 6ppt in a 20 gallon, how much salt is that?

About 2.5 oz ... 2.65 to be exact...
Did they convert to female possibly? How do you check?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service