Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hi everyone...I have been researching the internet and reading all the books I can find on aquaponics for a while now. I got my system almost ready to go. Just wanted to share my systems specs with everyone. I hope to add pictures later...

60 gallon aquabundance grow bed
70 gallon rubbermaid stock tank (buried)
Laguna 600 gph submersible pump
Not sure which fish yet probably goldfish for starters
Probably will grow lettuce for start up
Grow Media 3/4 lava rock 1/4 hydroton

Would like to hear from members who may have a similar system that has been running for sometime. My original plan for a system was a bit larger but I had to scale it back to stay within my budget.

I really like Sylvia Bernstein's book Aquaponic Gardening
It is packed full of useful information for home based aquaponic gardening.
Way to go Sylvia!

Views: 133

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

that's a pretty big pump for that size tank.. but it will make it easy to expand!

you'll need to divert quite a bit of flow back into the ft, and i'm not sure how turbulent that will make it

Keith Rowan said:

that's a pretty big pump for that size tank.. but it will make it easy to expand!

you'll need to divert quite a bit of flow back into the ft, and i'm not sure how turbulent that will make it

I was planning on using a pvc ball valve to control the flow. I think this should work...

if you restrict the output of the pump, you'll reduce it's life.. that's why i suggested diverting "extra" flow back into the ft..

Thanks Keith I will keep that in mind.  Any ideas on how i could divert some of the flow back into the FT?

backyard starter system

Here is a pic of my backyard system.  Since this photo was taken I have ran all pvc pipes and ran a test on the plumbing.  Everything seems to be working fine.  I will start cycling soon..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service