Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Today I noticed that the water in my fish tank (res) is electrically charged! I unplugged everything and inspected the submersible heater no visible problems/cracks. I did the same with the pumps and I tested them individually in another reservior- there were no indications of a tingle/shock when tested individuallly.

I reconnected all the components  and hooked them back up to the timers and there is still a tingling slight shock. I do have a few niks/cuts that sting alittle on my fingers.  I know the feeling of being shocked - I definitley was feeling a slight shock! It is much less pronounced- but it seems it is still charged- I presumed it is a short- or a wire is exposed - or something internal with something but found nothing. I am going to re check it all again...

Is there any tips on how to discern if there is an electrical charge in the water other than relying on finger sensation-

I want to make sure there is no risks to the fish.

Has anyone else experienced this?

 

Views: 1272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK- Darn-it! Yes, I can feel the slight tingle/shock while I'm barefoot. I just now sat in a chair with my feet off the ground- I dipped a finger - and I didn't feel a thing- I kept my finger in the water & then I put my feet on the ground and I definitley felt it.

I don't know what to do- It is very slight- I dunno what to do!

Would a voltage meter work to measure the current in the water?

Grow what difference does the amount of amp running through your system do for you. Pull your heater and do your finger check. then do the same with your pump. Replace which ever is faulty. Quit playing with fire. Any current will kill organisms and fish period. Unless you like fuzzy hair of course.
Yes I agree.  do one item at a time elimination testing and when you find the faulty item, replace it.  If problem comes back, you might want to call an electrician to make sure you don't have electricity getting into a metal wall stud or something.

Every outlet that supplies power to things should have a GFCI. If you can't get a GFCI at least get a pig tail like this:

Also you can use the GFCI as a trouble shooting tool. Plug in each device until the offending device trips.

Thanks Chi Ma- I will try that for sure!

I finally figured out what the electrical current was - my flourescent light was the cause- removed it & whalla - no shock-

Thank you everyone for the advice, Now I don't have to worry about that dangerous situation.

how was the electric light contacting the water?

Well, glad you got the problem sorted out in any case.

Thanks Chi Ma - I sure can use one of them!

Chi Ma said:

Every outlet that supplies power to things should have a GFCI. If you can't get a GFCI at least get a pig tail like this:

Also you can use the GFCI as a trouble shooting tool. Plug in each device until the offending device trips.

Yep no light needed down there anyway, you don't want to grow that much algae, save the electricity to use for lighting up the plants.
I know, but in the evenings when I feed the fish with my son, it was nice to be able to see the fish eating & swimming around. Thanks TL-

TCLynx said:
Yep no light needed down there anyway, you don't want to grow that much algae, save the electricity to use for lighting up the plants.
Ah, just set up a clamp lamp or something in a safe location.  then when you turn on the light the fish may learn to associate that with feeding time and you can train them

Definately don't use your fingure to test for a short, A meter will tell you if you got a short. If you are indoors take 1 wire and run to a copper pipe or your house ground wire, hook the meter to it and then the other wire from the meter dangle it in the water. It'll tell you exactly how many volts is in the water

If your outdoors pound a piece of metal into the ground and run a wire from it, 1 wire from the meter to the new ground you just made and the other wire from the meter into the water.If you have a short it'll read it.

 

First make sure your meter is set to the V on ac setting if your using AC (alternating current which is your house voltage for your light), If your using DC set the meter V dc which is direct current and what is used by batteries and solar systems.

Hope that helps, but please don't use your finger always use a meter.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service