Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hi all, I was just wondering if you can leave me some information on whether and/or how the moon cycle affects planting in aquaponic system/s, would it be the same as for plants planted in the ground?

Views: 891

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have never paid attention to the moon phase when planting traditionally.  I doubt it will affect AP plantings.  Don't stress over details!

Hi Colin,

Welcome back! There is no noticeable effect. This is just another, in the long list of advantages of AP over soil based agriculture.

Hi Colin, You might find this article of intrest...

http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/lunarfacts.html

It does mention that soil can have more moisture, due to the gravational pull, durring the new and full moons.  This helps seeds to germinate better. I guess we may not see that benifit as much  ...'?'

However we would still be effected by the moon's extra light, or the lack of.

Planting by the moon is definitly important even in aquaponics. The moon acts as a clock for all biology at the Earth's surface. There are differing schools of thought on how to plant by the moon, but basically what is important is understanding when to plant based on season, and using the moon as your timer for planting leaf, root, or fruit crops according to their preferrend growing conditions. Aquaponics does eleminate many of the conventional gardeners tasks, but timing of earths seasons and corresponding plantings and harvests are not dissolved by new growing techniques.

I can't see there being much correlation, if any. I'm skeptical of planting with the phases of the moon, in general; as a science teacher, I've never understood it.

I have heard some gardeners claim that when the mood is full it's gravitational pull is stronger which, doesn't make sense, as when the moon is full, it's simply sitting is the right place to reflect sunlight towards the Earth; its pull is no stronger than if it was a new moon (completely in shadow).

The only advantage that I can think of is that the light from a full moon might supplement the plant's growth but this I think that this is even a stretch.

Agreed.

Harold Sukhbir said:

Hi Colin,

Welcome back! There is no noticeable effect. This is just another, in the long list of advantages of AP over soil based agriculture.

Hi Guru,

What you say about the moon cycles has a lot of merit and must transfer to AP. I know this firsthand, coming from a past fisherman/diver. I have tested this on raft/lettuce by head weight over a 3 month period. I have personally found no discernible/actual difference in weight between lettuce planted within the moon phase and out of phase. Plants assimilate more of a specific nutrient at certain stages of growth. I am aware however that these aren't scientific studies by any means, but at the same time, if anyone has data on this I'll be most interested.

Thanks a lot guys for taking the time to comment, I've read all comments so far and I have a feeling that this discussion is not over yet, so therefore, anyone is free to add to this discussion.

@ David Hart, thanks for that link, it was useful in helping me understand the relation to the moon and growing plants.

@ Harold, we have to meet up one day for me to check out your system ok 

This picture explains how the full moon and new moon affect the tides by gravitational attraction. Careful what kind of 'science' you are teaching your students.

Dustin Bajer said:

I can't see there being much correlation, if any. I'm skeptical of planting with the phases of the moon, in general; as a science teacher, I've never understood it.

I have heard some gardeners claim that when the mood is full it's gravitational pull is stronger which, doesn't make sense, as when the moon is full, it's simply sitting is the right place to reflect sunlight towards the Earth; its pull is no stronger than if it was a new moon (completely in shadow).

The only advantage that I can think of is that the light from a full moon might supplement the plant's growth but this I think that this is even a stretch.

Excuse my last sentence. I regret the choice of words.  Let me rephrase.  The new moon and full moon are in alignment with the sun and so their combined gravitational forces act on bodies of water all around the globe.  This is observed as the extreme high and low tides.  Planting with the moon means to plant according to both phase and count of the current moon cycle.  The most ancient and accurate way of tracking the seasons is by simply observing the moon.  As a human I use my observations of the natural world around me to clue me in to the appropriate timing of harvest and planting.  As a scientist I strive to make careful and accurate observation of the world around me.  And as a teacher I strive for my students to do the same.
Guru Das C Bock said:

This picture explains how the full moon and new moon affect the tides by gravitational attraction. Careful what kind of 'science' you are teaching your students.

Dustin Bajer said:

Really?

In an artificial growing environment, with artificial water movement, with artificial aeration, with a foreign fertilizer and likely in an artificially stable greenhouse and illuminated with artificial light, you think the moon phase plays a role? Hmmm. Personally, my tomatoes don't even know it's winter right now, but I have noticed some watercress getting unruly, maybe they are werewolves.

I'm just messing with you. Good food for thought.

Very true Jon, if a system is running outside of the natural environment, I totally agree, no connection to the moon.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service