Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

does anyone know of a good source of DC air pumps.

I'd like to design my system to work from a 100-200watt solar panel.

Does anyone know of a good DC air pump.

Thanks,,

Brian.

Views: 503

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, that's expensive.  

I've only used one, and not much, purchased from West Marine.  You could try Bass Pro, Cabelas.

Just as info, I'm using a DC Shurflo Bait pump for backup aeration (water pump).  It pumps up a few inches and back down onto the surface.

Did you check the second link?  Those are cheaper, but made in big C.

George said:

Wow, that's expensive.  

I've only used one, and not much, purchased from West Marine.  You could try Bass Pro, Cabelas.

Just as info, I'm using a DC Shurflo Bait pump for backup aeration (water pump).  It pumps up a few inches and back down onto the surface.

Thanks, Bob.  I think I'll stick with pumping water, for now.  My system produces a lot of aeration with one low wattage water pump from grid.  The DC produces redundant aeration during ordinary times and should function to keep everything alive in the event of power failure or primary pump failure.  That's the plan anyhow.  

The Shurflo bait pump runs like a champ thus far.  We'll see how it goes long term.  Two year warranty and in the event of motor failure, that's all you replace, the motor.  I may go entirely DC if the bait pumps prove to be reliable.  I've given up on bilge pumps.

Brian, look at Rob T's system (you tube web4deb).  I believe he runs the entire thing with one DC water pump and it's not a small system.

Brian, when you design, think of how you can produce aeration from your primary pump by cascading/splashing.  See the link below - the only thing I would do differently next time is drop the water only halfway or so down the bed instead of to the bottom of the bed.  I'll get around to changing that sometime.  I'm using six inlet aeration chambers and six standpipes, each of which also produces aeration.  aeration is produced as water enters each bed, as it drains from each bed and again as water drops into the tank in two places.  Just food for thought.  Good luck.

http://youtu.be/CFf2gdzIoJA

I got all my 12 Vlt Pumps from either Boats or RVs. A good local source would be a company that buys up older equip and tears it down for resale. I had a 32' narrow beam twin 200HP in Washington State for salt water fishing and a 26' Salmon rigged Mercruiser 250 HP for Great lakes fishing.  Never had a problem with Aeration or Water pumps. I now have a 20' Bass boat with 3 live wells and no problems.  All DC. Any decent Pump should work very well as long as it isn't called "Commercial' or "Industrial" as they cost way too much. Point is research those 2 areas and research the best of class.

But another way to go is Mini Air Compressor, they come both 12VDC and 110VAC. I bought a 200+ PSI about size 14"x8"x10" from Sears years ago and I still use it for everything because it is easier then my big one. I plan on using this Compressor for Aeration of 5 big tanks and also be able to switch it to use it on a rotary sweeper and clean the bottoms of my tanks.

We got them at AquaticEco and we'll talk about it on Monday on our Webinar:

http://ning.it/13YF107

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service