Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

DIY Heater, build your own 2000 watt heater for $20 ***DONT USE COPPER OR NICKEL ELEMENTS!

submersible virsion... http://community.theaquaponicsource.com/forum/topics/diy-heater-sub... ...this how-to has the link for the stainless elements.

After many variations, this is the simplest heater I've been able to build. I had to come up with this last year while waiting for my $600 heater to be built and delivered. when it finally arrived, I just left it in the box and continued to use the home built unit.

DO NOT USE THE COPPER ELEMENT FROM HOME DEPOT!  YOU MUST ORDER A STAINLESS STEEEL ELEMENT.   ....This is a 2000 watt element from Home Depot, a 1-1/2" to 1" reducer, a 1-1/2" uniseal, and a fitting with net pots to keep the fish off the element. I found that a heavy duty timer works for a thermostat. I run it for 15 mins on the hour to keep my 150 gallon tank toasty. this would be adjusted according to your needs. i have used this on as much as 600 gallons, but would recommend going to the 240 volt, 4000 watt for anything over 400 gallon. Note - the 2" net pots slip right onto a male threaded 1-1/2" nipple.

The top pipe is optional, i like to keep it as tall as the water level will allow. This will create a convective flow of water across the element. Works great!

here is the newer version...

Views: 22732

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://community.theaquaponicsource.com/forum/topics/using-gas-heat...   I am considering  this set up for my GH as I primarily use the heat from the FT to heat the GH most of the time except extreme temps (like right now). I covered my 3 IBC GBs with a mylar low tunnel and between the grow lights on at night and the warm water running through the beds (2media and 1 DWC) they stay plenty warm but a more economical way to heat the water would definitely be nice. Right now I'm running a 1000watt heater 24/7 and it barely keeps up. I have a wood stove but it requires someone to keep it going. I also have a thermostatically controlled propane radiant heater but it uses a lot of gas so I don't use it as a rule. My GH is only 8 x 22 in the Detroit area.

what about switching from soil to a aquaponic system?

easy to heat a tank and keep plant at 70 plus degrees then to try to heat a room in the winter to 70 degrees right?

what about switching from soil to a aquaponic system?

Is it easier to heat a tank and keep plant at 70 plus degrees then to try to heat a room in the winter to 70 degrees right?

as long as the hydro is as low as it can be and after this year I think that a few pumps and fish heaters are costing less then the electric oil heater that I am using now. Only at night but still costly enough.

Rob please send me any information you have for the parts you used, where you got them and the price per part.

I have a 50 gallon barrel and just need to put in heating element and temp, sensor, plumbing can be done afterwards.

So as I understand there is no water pump used right? it is natural confection right?

That being said any finer points I am missing please feel free to direct me on location for holes etc,

Thanks Zach

Zach said:

Rob please send me any information you have for the parts you used, where you got them and the price per part.

I have a 50 gallon barrel and just need to put in heating element and temp, sensor, plumbing can be done afterwards.

So as I understand there is no water pump used right? it is natural confection right?

That being said any finer points I am missing please feel free to direct me on location for holes etc,

Thanks Zach

Bob-- it only gets down to freezing a few times a year.. February is the coldest month in Texas.. and we havent had but one night that got bellow 34 for a few hours..

So... they work great for me in Texas. 

Zach.. have a look around on the other post for the parts..

http://community.theaquaponicsource.com/forum/topics/diy-heater-sub...

most details have been discussed.

Rob-Got you beat....this mornings temp was minus 33 when I went into work thats the wind chill temp, its minus 20 C right now.

thanks Rob I will look over what you sent.

Zach

I have a similar submersible heater I've made from the numerous ideas on here and on YouTube. I guess I used smaller fittings, as my PVC pieces are 1" and threaded 1" Inside. Also my rubber joint connection is a 1 1/4" X 1 1/4". I'm super worried about this leaking and shorting out, so I have been assembling it; placing it under water; and checking it for leaks the next day. It doesn't leak for say, but it condensates inside the rubber joint...on the screws to the element as well. Is that normal for these submersible heaters that others have made? I'm tempted to coat the back of the element in silicone as a preventative measure. Ideas?

I have seen others do this and fill the back with silicon to completely cover and insulate the connections. I would do this rather than have the chance of electrocuting my fish, myself, or a family member. And of course, use a GFCI outlet always. 

Yeah, fill thee back (while it's dry of course) with silicone, polyurethane sealant/adhesive...or some other appropriate insulative material. You wouldn't want the condensation to potentially short anything out.

dont bother with the silicon,, it doesnt dry and like all silicon applications,, its only a matter of time till it cracks loose..

leave the green ground wire bare and in the rubber boot.. it will trip the GFI if it leaks..

the only time ive had one leak , was because the rubber shrinks a bit when it gets cold.. so always use a 5/16 nut driver (not a flat head screwdriver) to tighten the clamps a day or two after its in the water.

or build it through wall.. my favorite.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service