Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

There is a story with videos circulating facebook and youtube about Diatomaceous Earth. One video is called Garden Girl: Natural insect control with Diatomaceous. You can search that title on you tube and watch the video...Do you think this is an option for indoor aquaponics to get rid of aphids and other pests? And not harm the fish?

Views: 317

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. don't use "filter grade DE. The stuff meant for pool filters is processed to a grade that is harmful to your health.

2.  don't breathe DE particles.

3. DE can have adverse effects on red wiggler and night crawler worms.

4. DE can be harsh on any membrane including those used in Reverse Osmosis water filters.

5. There is "food grade" DE that IS safe for animal/fish feed processing.  Not as an ingredient necessarily but ok if in small amounts.

I only use DE as an insect/pest deterrent around and outside my AP perimeters.  I get it almost free from waste piles near an oil field processing plant. Other petro plants might also be a low cost source of raw DE straight from the earth with little or no processing done to it. thus very dirty and in need of washing/rinsing.

I hope this helps. I am sure there is a lot more information about the safety and benefits of DE and that there will be a place for it in AP systems.

Glenn said:

1. don't use "filter grade DE. The stuff meant for pool filters is processed to a grade that is harmful to your health.

2.  don't breathe DE particles.

3. DE can have adverse effects on red wiggler and night crawler worms.

4. DE can be harsh on any membrane including those used in Reverse Osmosis water filters.

5. There is "food grade" DE that IS safe for animal/fish feed processing.  Not as an ingredient necessarily but ok if in small amounts.

I only use DE as an insect/pest deterrent around and outside my AP perimeters.  I get it almost free from waste piles near an oil field processing plant. Other petro plants might also be a low cost source of raw DE straight from the earth with little or no processing done to it. thus very dirty and in need of washing/rinsing.

I hope this helps. I am sure there is a lot more information about the safety and benefits of DE and that there will be a place for it in AP systems.

Thank you Glenn, that does help..I will probably not use it..I do have red wigglers in the clay beds. I have just released another 200 ladybugs in the grow room. They seem to be helping...I don't have a bad pest problem. I have new lettuce coming up again, cucumbers are on the vine and tomatoes are blooming...Trying to pollinate tomatoes is kind of hard..!!  sherrie

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service