Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hello all,

I've recently built a new media bed/DWC system. It's supplied by an approx. 900 gal. pond system. I had great success with my initial set up which was just a 4' X 4' media bed with pea gravel and two zip grow towers. We had tons of Kale, Chards and Collards.

The new system is a 4' X 10' media bed with Viastone expanded clay for media, and the DWC is 4'X 8' with 4 air stones. As of tonight my pH was approx. 6.6, zero Nitrite and Ammonia, and my Nitrates were about 30. The temp is upper 60s and my fish are Koi/Goldfish.

My problem...essentially zero growth, I've had 75% die off and what has survived has barely grown over the course of a month. I added two decent sized Basil starts at about 2" high on Saturday and they are showing some yellowing on the leaves and not looking so hot already. I supplemented with Iron in Jan.

I would greatly appreciate any input as I really don't know what else to look at! Thank you in advance to anyone willing to try and help me out!

Don

Views: 331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey guys,

As it turns out it looks like I have a type of aphid and some very small reddish worms. I broke open some of my rock wool cubes and saw plenty of the little aphid like guys in there and a few of the worms. I'll attach a few pics. Any suggestions? It looks like the aphids are throughout my media.

Don Bass said:

Hey guys,

As it turns out it looks like I have a type of aphid and some very small reddish worms. I broke open some of my rock wool cubes and saw plenty of the little aphid like guys in there and a few of the worms. I'll attach a few pics. Any suggestions? It looks like the aphids are throughout my media.

The bug looks like a Thrip, I don't know about the worm

http://community.theaquaponicsource.com/forum/topics/thrips

Thanks a bunch Jonathan!

Jonathan Kadish NYC AA Chair said:

The bug looks like a Thrip, I don't know about the worm

http://community.theaquaponicsource.com/forum/topics/thrips

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service