Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Firstly, i cant think of where to put this, so i picked this section
Secondly i'm looking for pros and cons of using concrete in a system
Things like swirl filter, sump tank, floating rafts and even a fish tank, perhaps, using either a "made on site" jobby, or perhaps, a septic tank or 2
I'm already thinking the getting water in and out might be a bit of a problem. Drilling into the concrete, too. Less durable?
They would probably be cheaper(?)than fibreglass or suchlike materials and 100% light ommiting on the plus side of it, though
Any others anyone can think of?

Holdsworth

Views: 226

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Reg,

Concrete can be used in aquaponics systems.. but I think that it is fair to say that it is not commonly used.  The reality is, as you noted, that it can be a pain to work with and it cannot be moved or easily drilled etc etc.  You had better make sure the system is perfectly planned from the beginning because there will be no shuffling it around later on!  However, the main thing that you have to consider if you are thinking about concrete, is that the concrete, if left untreated, will react with the water and negatively affect the pH.  If you want to use it then it needs to be thoroughly sealed before you add water, fish and so forth.  Concrete is very commonly used for koi hatcheries here in Japan as it usually the most cost-effective option.

That's a point!!!
I didnt take the sealing of it into consideration. What gets used to do this sealing?
I was thinking more of the durability of using concrete over other materials
The family members of my soon to be wife are construcion people, so i wouldnt have that much trouble in getting it built to a decent specification, and yes, i WOULD spend some time planning it as properly as i can But i'm also prepred for "ooops!!" too lol!!

Holdsworth

Japan Aquaponics - アクアポニックス 日本 said:

Hi Reg,

Concrete can be used in aquaponics systems.. but I think that it is fair to say that it is not commonly used.  The reality is, as you noted, that it can be a pain to work with and it cannot be moved or easily drilled etc etc.  You had better make sure the system is perfectly planned from the beginning because there will be no shuffling it around later on!  However, the main thing that you have to consider if you are thinking about concrete, is that the concrete, if left untreated, will react with the water and negatively affect the pH.  If you want to use it then it needs to be thoroughly sealed before you add water, fish and so forth.  Concrete is very commonly used for koi hatcheries here in Japan as it usually the most cost-effective option.

Hi Reg,

There are a few different products you can use... but again, the priority is to ensure that they are food safe and will not be leaching anything into the water.  If you do a search for 'concrete' on this site you will see a couple of projects and you will find some recommendation... I live in Japan and so am honestly not familiar with any of the US based products, but have heard of people using Thoroseal (http://www.thoroproducts.com/products_waterproofing.htm) successfully.

Thanks for that

Holdsworth

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service