Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Are you interested in growing commercially?  Do you already grow commercially?  This is the place for exchanging ideas and experiences, and making new contacts in commercial aquaponic agriculture

You might also consider joining the Commercial Aquaponics discussion group for lots more information and discussion

Views: 8485

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I second that Jessica!

I have found them to be a good source for most temperate veggie seeds and have grown several of their varieties of lettuce year round even in my Hot climate.

Be sure to start out buying smaller packages of a wider variety of lettuce seed so you can do your own trials to see what works well for your system conditions and climate.  Don't buy way too much of any one variety before you know how much you really need for a given time period since pelleted seed doesn't necessarily keep it's advertized germination rates very long term and as your seed stock gets old your may see a decline in germination rates.

Johnny's ships fast as long as what you are ordering is in stock so you don't have to order your whole season's worth of seed all at one time, you can order more of what is selling best as you see your getting close to running low.

If you want more organic options check out Seeds of Change. Great company that only sells 100% organic seeds. They are also more affordable then Johnny's for packets if you want to try a variety and they have many varieties that Johnny's doesn't carry. www.seedsofchange.com

My other favorite is Seed Savers Exchange- also a great company, high germination rate and they have great heirlooms not found anywhere else. Prices are great for seed packets so I usually order my 'fun' seeds from here (some business ones too, they beat Johnny's price on most of the varieties they have in common). www.seedsavers.org

-Jess

Yikes. I just did some quick comparisons between Seeds of Change and Johnny's

Red Russian Kale.

Johnny $3.65/100; $6.35/7800

SOC: $3.49/150; $19.99/1500

Lettuce - Simpson Black Seeded

Johnny:  $3.65/500; $5.15/24,000

SOC: $3.49/500; $19.99/5,000

Moral of the story - Don't ever buy bulk from Seeds of Change. 

Seeds of Change is really geared more to home gardening for specialty/organic/open pollinated seeds.

Johnny's is geared primarily to sales on this continent and while they do cater to retail home grower sales, a bulk of their sales is to Market farmers and hence there is some benefit to buying larger quantity.  Just beware that buying in bulk doesn't always save you money if you don't use those seeds up in 6-8 months since the viability of things like pelleted lettuce seeds does fall off over time.  I've learned that if I buy too large a quantity and haven't used it up in less than 12 months, I often wind up having to over seed to make sure I get good enough germination to make it worth while to bother planting that seed at all and then I have the added labor step of thinning what does come up too well.

Does anyone know of a resource/map that shows all the current commercial aquaponics operations in the U.S.?  I'm wondering just how widespread it is.  Seems the more I look, the more prevalent the practice is becoming.

Hi

Members need your comments on this link regarding commercial aspect of aquaponics

AQUAPONICS: Myth or Magic? by: Dr Nichols

any body have some real data for comparision or some one here running commercial aquaponics which is profitable.

I think he makes some good points, particularly in comparing aquaponics to hydroponics.  Personally, I'm doing this for the fish so that comparison is kind of meaningless to me.

Comparing aquaponics to conventional recirculating aquaculture turned a major cost (waste disposal) into a major revenue stream (vegetables) for us.

Hammad Malik said:

Hi

Members need your comments on this link regarding commercial aspect of aquaponics

any body have some real data for comparision or some one here running commercial aquaponics which is profitable.

what I understand there are many variables in the AP system and business side has its own, the best way is to find it by experimentation, adjust then expand

David - WI said:

I think he makes some good points, particularly in comparing aquaponics to hydroponics.  Personally, I'm doing this for the fish so that comparison is kind of meaningless to me.

Comparing aquaponics to conventional recirculating aquaculture turned a major cost (waste disposal) into a major revenue stream (vegetables) for us.

Hammad Malik said:

Hi

My business plan will be done this week. everything points to a good deal! I can't wait to start commercially.

I have the property, I have the water, just need a few things to get started. we will be located in Albuquerque NM

Baker Creek Heirloom Seed company ( www.rareseeds.com ) is also another great source of seeds. I've always had good service and good results and they usually throw in a sample or two of interesting seed packets with every order.

Jeff Kier said:

Hi

On a commercial quantity level does anyone have any good sources for pelleted lettuce seeds, also seeds in general.

There could be a discussion out there on this subject, if there is I apologize in advance for the repeat; 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service