Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I am having a terrible time with Cilantro and parsley. I plant the seeds and they sprout very slowly then don't want to grow. Any thoughts. Everything is in a nice temperature variable greenhouse with plenty of SE sun temps 58-84

Views: 1366

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you tried starting the seeds in a minimal amount of soil?  By that I mean, i start seeds in my own potting soil that is essentially 1/3 worm castings and 2/3 compost, but early seeds will grow anyway. i use my soil combination because I have it and the plants continue to grow.

For a "pot" I use a 1/3 toilet paper roll so there is not a whole lot of soil here. Now if you think that is not enough to grow a seedling, I have a few hundred tomato plants in that exact position that are now a full foot tall and healthy, Those I am in the process of replanting into large Solo cups. 

I also have a group of parsley plants, basil and cilantro. they are far smaller than those tomatoes but in the same 1/3 toilet paper roll.. I plan to put some of these into 2 inch slotted pots and into my AP system. i have not decided what additional media  I might want to put into the cups when I put them in the rafts. If I were using a filled bed, they would go in just as they are.

I started some in rock wool cubes and others just in the hydroton. I'm going to start some in soil and transplant to the beds next

And I thought I was being bold starting 25 tomato plants.

Pat James said:

Have you tried starting the seeds in a minimal amount of soil?  By that I mean, i start seeds in my own potting soil that is essentially 1/3 worm castings and 2/3 compost, but early seeds will grow anyway. i use my soil combination because I have it and the plants continue to grow.

For a "pot" I use a 1/3 toilet paper roll so there is not a whole lot of soil here. Now if you think that is not enough to grow a seedling, I have a few hundred tomato plants in that exact position that are now a full foot tall and healthy, Those I am in the process of replanting into large Solo cups. 

I also have a group of parsley plants, basil and cilantro. they are far smaller than those tomatoes but in the same 1/3 toilet paper roll.. I plan to put some of these into 2 inch slotted pots and into my AP system. i have not decided what additional media  I might want to put into the cups when I put them in the rafts. If I were using a filled bed, they would go in just as they are.

Bob, I am going to try to sell most of my tomato plants and maybe some of my pepper plants. I want to see if I can do it in a front yard plant sale....... kinda like a garage sale thing but with plants.

The thought had crossed my mind to set up a stand and try to sell plant seedlings next year after I build my new green house..  Great idea, I hope you sell 'em all and make $$$$$.

Pat James said:

Bob, I am going to try to sell most of my tomato plants and maybe some of my pepper plants. I want to see if I can do it in a front yard plant sale....... kinda like a garage sale thing but with plants.

Hi Pat,

I like your business idea! Using AP for seed starting and making some cash from seedling sales.

Pat James said:

Harold, my seedlings are all in soil made from 1/3 worm castings and 2/3 compost that I make myself. I have alot of raised beds as well for my growing. Some f the seedlings I have started will be transferred to the AP system for production..

Hi Pat,

Thanks for clearing that up. Nevertheless, a happy mistake in perception can sometimes provide sound money making ideas..... don't you think?

Pat James said:

Harold, my seedlings are all in soil made from 1/3 worm castings and 2/3 compost that I make myself. I have alot of raised beds as well for my growing. Some f the seedlings I have started will be transferred to the AP system for production..

I've actually been thinking about starting a seed starter business for my community. I constructed a seed tray along the back of my grow beds out of some sheet metal roofing. I can put pots and trays on it and run water along it to bottom feed the seedlings to promote downward root growth. I was thinking consumers could pick out seeds from a catalog and I could grow them out for customers. Seems like a decent way to make some side cash. I find there are a lot people that are just getting into gardening, but no one wants to start things from seed. So they use poor quality plants from the store. Oh, just a side note. I'm about 85% sure on this one, but castings and compost are not considered "soil". So that is technically a soil-less media :)

Pat James said:

Oh, just a side note. I'm about 85% sure on this one, but castings and compost are not considered "soil". So that is technically a soil-less media

Yeah, it's soil...sorta. One of the guys on my main gardening blog likes to say "Soil is what you grow in...dirt is what you knock off your boots"

Sorta-kinda...I'm pretty sure things like compost and castings fall into the category (organic matter)...and organic matter like that only makes up 3% to 5% of most 'decent' plant growing soil...My cilantro has always been started in 100% hydroton and has grown monstrously. 

Mine is starting to show up i guess i planted the seeds to deep im going to be eating squash in a month not bad for Colorado!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service