I just contacted my county, and was told the level of Chloramine is less than 0.1 ppm. I'm about to start cycling my system, and want to eliminate all concerns. Should I still be concerned about such low levels, or will I be ok?
Any information would be greatly appreciated! Hope y'all are having a great day!
My county claims the same (0.1ppm) but I routinely test our tap water and see 0.5ppm- 1.0ppm chloramine so I would suggest using vitamin c (ascorbic acid) to neutralize it. If you test your tap water and it really is 0.1ppm you could risk it but vitamin c is cheap and will just add 5 minutes to your setup- you can fill your system and treat it with vitamin c (ascorbic acid) for a few days before you test to verify chloramine removal then add your nitrifying bacteria, plants or fish.
About 1000mg per 50 gallons of water is the conversion I use. For adding makeup water you will need a separate container to treat the water- I fill up my 55 gallon barrel with water from my hose. I add 1/4 level teaspoon of Vitamin C (1058mg of the ascorbic acid I link below but check your product for its mg) and mix it up with a untreated 1x2 stir stick. I add a large air stone from my air pump and let it sit for 24 hours. I always use a test strip to make sure the chloramines have been removed. Twice I have had the water test positive for chloramines after 24 hours, so I added another 1/8 level teaspoon of Vitamin C and let it sit for an additional 24 hours and tested again. I think this was due to the city water fluctuating so make sure you test. Just because 1/4 teaspoon worked before doesn't mean it's doing the job every time.
I buy my vitamin c (ascorbic acid) on amazon, I prefer to buy food grade so I can use it for other things as well. The chloramine removal doesn't use much!
Chloramine levels can be determined by subtracting the amount of free chlorine from the amount of total chlorine (example: total chlorine - 1.0 ppm minus free chlorine = 0.5 ppm, thus, 1.0 ppm - 0.5 ppm = 0.5 ppm chloramine).
The chloramine test strips I use- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AN5I6C6/ref=oh_aui_search_detai...
Hope that helps =)
Thanks for all the info Jess!
Hi Jessica, I was wondering...since the ascorbic acid essentially breaks apart the chloramine into its component parts...that being being ammonia and chlorine (which then easily off-gasses)... have you by chance tested your water for ammonia after treating it? (I'm guessing at 0.4ppm the ammonia level would be negligible)
No I have not tested for ammonia after treating for chloramine; but since I am using it as makeup water I am not adding a ton of new water to my system at once. I would assume my system just takes care of the extra ammonia since I have not had any problems. Good question though, I will test it next time and message you!
Old topic but I wanted to follow up since Vlad made me wonder.
I tested my last two batches of treated water and my test kit did not detect ammonia after 24 and 72 hours post vitamin C treatment to remove chloramines. In theory I would expect some sign of ammonia since the chlorine off-gasses leaving the ammonia behind but I suspect you are right Vlad, maybe too low of a level in my 55gal batch of make up water.
But for people starting their system from scratch that is another thing to take into account if you are using bottled ammonia to aid in startup- you do not want to over do it if there is already leftover ammonia from the chloramine treatment. Testing is our friend =)