Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I need to buy a new FT for my new system i want to set up, but i cant find a cheap FT.

i want something around 600gallons maybe more maybe lil less but something around there.

all the ones i can find are in the thousands.

Wat is something cheap i can buy and use as a FT.

like for my already running system im using the 275 gallon "tote"  i wish they had 600 gallon "totes" :).

Views: 480

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well I've made my big system fish tank using two cattle panels, some banding, a tarp and 1/4" blueboard to protect the liner and a big chunk of pond liner.  I figure it is about 600 gallons and probably cost me less than $400.  Folding the liner was tricky and pushing the pipe through the uniseal was really hard but I like the tank.

You might also be able to find a deeper stock tank from a feed store if you search around.

hmm good idea, i will look around :).

my question is "what is wrong with multiple 275 gallon totes plumbed together"

I been looking for large tanks but the majority are way over priced, one place that I have found to have decent prices for tanks inthe 600gal range is your local septic field installer.

Nothing is really wrong with plumbing multiple tanks together.  If you plumb tanks together though, you must keep in mind that they need big enough plumbing to keep the flow good and not overflow the first tank.  Also that the flow into the subsequent tanks will essentially be polluted by the earlier tanks (this may or may not be a problem, just keep it in mind in the flows and stocking plans.)  Finally, you need to keep fish from swimming into the pipes and getting stuck and you need to be able to access the screens for cleaning.

get one of those 8' ring pools (intex type), they hold about 796gallons to the fill line..i found one on craigslist for $15, it's had minnows and crayfish for over a year

Sorry i know this thread is really old but since it was just revived ill jump on the opportunity.

TC, What is the uniseal sealing if the tank is a tarp/blueboard/liner sandwich? Does the uniseal have to be also sealed around the liner contact? I guess if you back the liner(sandwich) with something solid like 1/4inch plywood in just a small section for the plumbing and feed the uniseal from the inside out, you could seal liner between the lip of the uniseal and the plywood.

Am I even close? 

TCLynx said:

Well I've made my big system fish tank using two cattle panels, some banding, a tarp and 1/4" blueboard to protect the liner and a big chunk of pond liner.  I figure it is about 600 gallons and probably cost me less than $400.  Folding the liner was tricky and pushing the pipe through the uniseal was really hard but I like the tank.

Yep, I would choose a hard plastic like 1/8-1/4" PVC or HDPE plastic as the backing (I don't include the insulation and tarp in the seal.)

I just installed some troughs using some HDPE plastic.  I cut the right size hole in the plastic for the uniseal and then I cut an X or * just a bit smaller than the hole.  I fit the uniseal in and push the pipe through.  The biggest challenge is supporting the backing and liner as you push the pipe through the uniseal.

When pushing down into the bottom of a trough it is fairly easy to manage a support.  Pushing sideways through a liner tank wall is far trickier to support unless you can build or sort out some means of support.  I used the cattle panel wires to help support the backing for the liner tank.

Very good info. Thanks! Just to clarify (and because its a slow day at the office) I decided to mspaint it up. I get that your main tank is/was at least partly buried so the support banding is less critical, but I think for the integrity of the tank, it is still required.

Is this correct?

Yep pretty much.

No the tank isn't really in the ground at all, bands are necessary.  We actually used cables but any good strong secure banding that will hold up to sun and weather should be good.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service