Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I will be retiring soon and I have been experimenting with Aquaponics for the last 8 months. I am very interested in attending classes/on-line courses/ and or classes that I will result in certification. I know that there are classes in UVI and Friendly. Does anyone know of on-line classes? Thanks

Views: 251

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well certification could be a touchy subject for some people here.  Heck, there are unscrupulous web sites out there that will sell you an e-book (which they simply skimmed from other people's work online and you could find for free with a little searching) and I wouldn't be shocked to learn of them teaching classes or giving workshops.

Now any certifications out there are only going to be as good as the certifying body.  I don't believe there are any such things out there.  If you want a piece of paper saying you have completed a course, I suggest you attend one of the classes in person.  Morning star fishermen also teach courses.

However, I don't think there are any college level online aquaponics courses at this time (you should be able to find most of the papers and research studies on the subject online for yourself.)  And the hands on experience is not possible online.

What is it you expect a "certification" would provide you?

Thanks for the quick response. I would like to start a small business selling veg's and Tilapia to some local restaurants. Since there are so many pop up sellers these days I wanted to be able to inform potential buyers that I am not a fly by operation. My Tilapia are from White Brook and I am doing my best to try and feed them organic or close to organic foods. If I can't sell them I would at least have my own fish that I know are free of hormones.

TCLynx said:

Well certification could be a touchy subject for some people here.  Heck, there are unscrupulous web sites out there that will sell you an e-book (which they simply skimmed from other people's work online and you could find for free with a little searching) and I wouldn't be shocked to learn of them teaching classes or giving workshops.

Now any certifications out there are only going to be as good as the certifying body.  I don't believe there are any such things out there.  If you want a piece of paper saying you have completed a course, I suggest you attend one of the classes in person.  Morning star fishermen also teach courses.

However, I don't think there are any college level online aquaponics courses at this time (you should be able to find most of the papers and research studies on the subject online for yourself.)  And the hands on experience is not possible online.

What is it you expect a "certification" would provide you?

Well if you want to get Organic certification for the veggies (can't be done for fish at this time) I would say go take one of the classes by the people who have managed to get certified organic.  That would be Friendlies in HI or if you can get down here in March, Green Acres Organics is hosting the first continental Friendlies Commercial training.

That would at least help you get through the organic thing if it is still possible here in the near future.

There is an online course through the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.  I'm planning to take the course this Spring. To my knowledge, it is the only accredited program in aquaponics.  Here is the course information.  I took the 3-day Master Class through Nelson & Pade about a year ago.  I liked that it was practical and hands-on.

I'm with TCLynx in that I"m not sure what a certificate or accreditation gets you when what you seem to be looking for is a practical course to get you started in successful AP farming.  I highly recommend you look into the Green Acres Aquaponic Farming course, which is taught by successful AP farmers (Nelson & Pade are consultants) running profitable aquaponics farms. And for an online course, I think the Aquaponic Gardening course that I developed is pretty good...at least that is what my students say.   

Best of luck to you!!

So far, the best 'teachers' I have found have all been on YouTube. That, and asking LOTS of questions on forums like this one.

Here is something I bought, but will gladly share:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14690131/DIY_Aquaponics.pdf

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service