Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Somewhat new to aquaponics, have dual tanks set up.. system total is about 300 gallons.. My blue tilapia are getting close to breeding age, but don't have the space at the moment for a dedicated breeding tank. I have a vertical plant set up over the tanks, and have decent current flowing at all times. My question is can they still breed, knowing their breeding habits, even with a current going through the tanks? would it disturb the process of the females laying the eggs, or are they adept enough to still fertilize the eggs even with the flow? Not looking at a major output for this summer, still working kinks out of the system... but curious if it would be possible...

Views: 228

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi January,

I don't know the answer to your question, I'm sorry.  I am wondering where you got your tilapia.  I am brand new to aquaponics, but just had a somewhat successful first crop of lettuce.  I learned a lot, but made a mistake with the ammonia, so I'm starting over.  I still have 6 blue gill, but would like to find a source for tilapia.  Any guidance would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Bill Thomas

I purchased my fish from a local aquaponics farmer. It is great to purchase local if possible.. you get to see their set-up, inspect the tanks, and also save a bunch on shipping. Check craigslist for any listings in your area.. if all else fails, ebay has many listings for just about every variety of fish, but shipping is expensive... One of my first mistakes was ammonia as well.. only lost a couple before I rectified it.. but did learn to go overboard with the plants.. I completely underestimated how many plants I needed for the fish I had... They go a long way towards evening out your levels. I also have a pond on my property, and saw someone mention using pond water to kick start their cycling system.. it helped me a lot as well.. Good luck!

Bill Thomas said:

Hi January,

I don't know the answer to your question, I'm sorry.  I am wondering where you got your tilapia.  I am brand new to aquaponics, but just had a somewhat successful first crop of lettuce.  I learned a lot, but made a mistake with the ammonia, so I'm starting over.  I still have 6 blue gill, but would like to find a source for tilapia.  Any guidance would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Bill Thomas

I sell Blue and Red Tilapia let me know what you need....

Bill Thomas said:

Hi January,

Bill Thomas

Where are you located? CA or NE?

topekapc . said:

Bill Thomas said:

Hi January,

Bill Thomas

Bill Thomas said:

Where are you located? CA or NE?

Im in KS I ship out tilapia all the time what are you looking for?

topekapc . said:

Bill Thomas said:

Hi January,

Bill Thomas

Yes.  You can help them out by placing a piece of pipe or an elbow in the tank to use as a breeding station.

My question is can they still breed, knowing their breeding habits, even with a current going through the tanks? 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service