Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hi, I need to buy a hand tool which can cut a small hole to fit a siphon to connect the bulk head. I don't know which hand tool to get. Can someone help me by advicing me which hand tool is the best to use setting up a grow bed and fish tank to frill holes and to cut an IBC tank etc? Is there a hand tool that does all these jobs (attachments) or do I buy more than one gadget to get the job done. Thank you in advance:)

Views: 365

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you have a drill, which is a hand tool, go down to your hardware shop or home depot (if you have them there)  with pictures on your phone of what you need to do and they will set you up with the hole saw(s) that you need.

Oh boy, never thought of that. Thank you for that. Gratefully, Annie malaysia

To make holes to install uniseals or bulkhead fittings, you will want a drill and the right size hole saw.  It would be good to practice using it on some scrap material since they sometimes bite and jerk funny the first time you try to use them and I wouldn't want you causing damage that isn't easily dealt with.  Be careful as you use tools you are not familiar with.

To cut an IBC, there are many tools that will work.  a jig saw or sabre saw is probably one of the easiest to use but I've seen people do it with an angle grinder, circular saw, sawzal, or even using manual powered hand saws.

Thank you, I will try the drill on my husband first, lol. Just kidding, thank you for the help. Take care

One tip to remember when you use a hole saw,  they are very agressive when they cut, so, use a hand drill which will run in reverse and cut the hole in the reverse mode.  You will get a smoother hole and it is very easy to do. Also if you are using 1/2 inch bulkheads use a 7/8 inch drill or hole saw.  just my 2 cents worth.  Another thought, if someone wants your 2 cents worth and they give you a penny for your thoughts, who gets the change?  Installing bulkheads are simple if you just go slow and think about what you are doing.

I've found that if I take the center bit out of the whole saw and use it first to create the center guide hole without the hole saw attached I'm far less likely to have it bite through and then the hole saw hit unevenly causing it to jerk and mar the side of the tank or hurt my wrists. 

Once the guide hole is drilled I put the hole saw together and run it backwards to make the initial mark of the hole saw to act as a guide, then I back off and set the drill to forward and carefully line up and bring the drill up to speed then gently apply to the hole again to finish drilling the hole.  It is often difficult to scrape though the entire thickness of plastic running the drill backwards.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MALCO-Hole-Cutter-1ELG5?Pid=search this tool is adjustable for any size hole there are cheaper versions at the doit stores

never had a problem cutting the holes running the drill backwards.  I do use good quality hole saws and not the ones from Harbor Freight.

TCLynx said:

I've found that if I take the center bit out of the whole saw and use it first to create the center guide hole without the hole saw attached I'm far less likely to have it bite through and then the hole saw hit unevenly causing it to jerk and mar the side of the tank or hurt my wrists. 

Once the guide hole is drilled I put the hole saw together and run it backwards to make the initial mark of the hole saw to act as a guide, then I back off and set the drill to forward and carefully line up and bring the drill up to speed then gently apply to the hole again to finish drilling the hole.  It is often difficult to scrape though the entire thickness of plastic running the drill backwards.

another method to pop a hole in plastic is to melt it. Often need to throw a hole or two of an odd size (hard to justify the cost of a bit not often used), or a large size that is both expensive and a PITA to handle the drill. Scrounge for a metal pipe, bean can, coffee can, etc the right size, heat with a torch (or gas range), and push it right through the plastic. No drill needed 

Hey Friend,

Here is a link, " oneclicktools.co.uk" where you can find all types of Hand tools and DIY Tools.

I have also find lots of important tools and equipments from here....

I think it’s proving helpful for you.......

Thanks !!

Power tools

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service