Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I have two fish tanks and I want to know if I can use one as a grow bed for a flood and drain system.

Thank!

Views: 272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How would you plumb the drain pipe through the glass?

By drilling a hole in the bottom glass.

Yes, you can. You may find yourself with a lot of algae if you don't cover the sides.

I see, so the light being let in will cause the algae?  Thanks, good point.  I was also condsidering building a plywood box and putting a liner in it.  Any issues with that way?

Yeah, the light will promote algae growth. You can do a plywood and liner box as well, just make sure it's strong enough to hold your water volume :)

You could paint the tank to block out light. I've drilled plenty of tanks. Two things- a 10 gallon has too thin a glass and a bulkhead will crack it before it seals. I haven't tried uniseal on a 10g yet. The other issue is tempered glass. Many of the bigger manufacturers are using tempered glass on many of their tanks. Tempered shatters when one attempts to drill it. Always a good surprise when one goes that way.
I have 2 glass tanks plumbed into my system at the moment. I use them for fish though, kind of a waste in materials to fill it with medium and not see anything inside it. I plan on using a 6'x1'x.5' tank rafting watercress with small ornamental fish or shrimp swimming through the roots.

Thanks Matt.  I agree about not seeing anything inside being a waste, but I have the glass already, so I just need to buy silicone versus building/buy a box for plants.  How is your system set up?  Do you have two pumps?

Matt H. said:

I have 2 glass tanks plumbed into my system at the moment. I use them for fish though, kind of a waste in materials to fill it with medium and not see anything inside it. I plan on using a 6'x1'x.5' tank rafting watercress with small ornamental fish or shrimp swimming through the roots.
If you already have the tank, use it. It will clean up later just fine. Straight razor off the paint. I have a 220g on the first floor in my house. That drains to the basement where it goes into a flood and drain bed. From there it goes into a 140g plastic container, then into a second. From there it goes to the 1/3hp pump. From there it branches; back upstairs, to a 50g tank, and a series of 30g plastic hydroponic tanks. Just a little plumbing madness. The system is approaching 600g total. I will post some pics soon. Some of it is still being built.

Sounds cool.  Pic's would be great.  I'm trying to get my system start/built soon and I don't want to spend any more money then I need to. 

Sure thing on the money. It's taken years to scrounge this stuff together. Working in the aquarium industry never paid enough but I did accumulate a pile equipment. All the lighting just looks like hazardous waste now with LED. I don't even think it's worth replacing bulbs. That money could be better spent on LEDs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service