Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Can creek water be used to start a AP system?

Hi,

I am brand new to this site and aquaponics.  I am just starting to put my system together and gathering info and thanks in advance for all your knowledge.  I have a creek running through my property with duckweed growing in pockets outside of the main flow but have only seen a few minnows on rare occasions.  Can this water  (and duckweed) be used in my system.  I plan on starting with goldfish to learn basics before I move to Tilapia.  My system will be made up of a couple of IBC's.

Thank you,    Steve

Views: 399

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Steve, as long as the water is not polluted then that would be a great way to start your system.  if you really want to kniow go get an API water test kit and test the creek water.  I be you will find that it is perfect because 1. you see minnows and you have duckweed growing in it, lucky you, some of us have to order it to get it.

BobT

Hi Bob,

Thanks.  I thought that it might be OK but was not sure.  I will get the API water test kit.  The creek comes from a natural pond and is fed from drainage ditches in farmer fields to dry some land for crops.  That being said, there have not been crops planted for many years in the farmer fields so I doubt it is polluted with chemicals.  Once I get things going I was possibly planning on growing the duckweed to feed the fish.  Any thoughts on that and also do you think it is best to start with goldfish for the learning curve.

Steve

Bob Terrell said:

Steve, as long as the water is not polluted then that would be a great way to start your system.  if you really want to kniow go get an API water test kit and test the creek water.  I be you will find that it is perfect because 1. you see minnows and you have duckweed growing in it, lucky you, some of us have to order it to get it.

BobT

Yes, Goldfish are a great way to start.  They are cheap and some people never go beyond them.  They eat, they pee, they poop like any other fish, you just don't eat them, unless you are very, very hungry.  Duck weed is easy to grow, but if you have a creek with the duckweed growing already, why not just let mother do it for you.  Harvest it when  you need it and freeze the rest in small cubes  to feed  the fish later.

Steve said:

Hi Bob,

Thanks.  I thought that it might be OK but was not sure.  I will get the API water test kit.  The creek comes from a natural pond and is fed from drainage ditches in farmer fields to dry some land for crops.  That being said, there have not been crops planted for many years in fields so I doubt it is polluted with chemicals.  Once I get things going I was possibly planning on growing the duckweed to feed the fish.  Any thoughts on that and also do you think it is best to start with goldfish for the learning curve.

Steve

Bob Terrell said:

Steve, as long as the water is not polluted then that would be a great way to start your system.  if you really want to kniow go get an API water test kit and test the creek water.  I be you will find that it is perfect because 1. you see minnows and you have duckweed growing in it, lucky you, some of us have to order it to get it.

BobT

Great point.  Mother can do things better than us anyway.  One last question:  If the water in the creek checks out good, would I fill my IBC tank with all creek water or just a portion.  I figure it would be almost ready for fish right away.  Am I thinking correctly?

Bob Terrell said:

Yes, Goldfish are a great way to start.  They are cheap and some people never go beyond them.  They eat, they pee, they poop like any other fish, you just don't eat them, unless you are very, very hungry.  Duck weed is easy to grow, but if you have a creek with the duckweed growing already, why not just let mother do it for you.  Harvest it when  you need it and freeze the rest in small cubes  to feed  the fish later.

Steve said:

Hi Bob,

Thanks.  I thought that it might be OK but was not sure.  I will get the API water test kit.  The creek comes from a natural pond and is fed from drainage ditches in farmer fields to dry some land for crops.  That being said, there have not been crops planted for many years in fields so I doubt it is polluted with chemicals.  Once I get things going I was possibly planning on growing the duckweed to feed the fish.  Any thoughts on that and also do you think it is best to start with goldfish for the learning curve.

Steve

Bob Terrell said:

Steve, as long as the water is not polluted then that would be a great way to start your system.  if you really want to kniow go get an API water test kit and test the creek water.  I be you will find that it is perfect because 1. you see minnows and you have duckweed growing in it, lucky you, some of us have to order it to get it.

BobT

I live beside a small river.
My sump tank is next to the river and I use the river water to supplement the AP water in emergencies.
My system is mostly collected rain water.  But the river water would have been fine for me to use.  It actually had a better PH than the rain water.

I suggest you get a fine net or minnow trap and capture some of the natural fish. 
Since you are going to use water they are in, it would be a good match.

My first desire was to purchase fish from a fish farm but quickly learned that there were more fish in the river than I could ever exhaust and they are much easier to catch than to buy and transport. If you are not planning to eat the fish, the type are not very important.

That sounds like a good idea.  I plan to eat the fish from the system in the future but after I know what I'm doing.  I suppose I can just change the fish type at a later date.

Lee Scott said:

I live beside a small river.
My sump tank is next to the river and I use the river water to supplement the AP water in emergencies.
My system is mostly collected rain water.  But the river water would have been fine for me to use.  It actually had a better PH than the rain water.

I suggest you get a fine net or minnow trap and capture some of the natural fish. 
Since you are going to use water they are in, it would be a good match.

My first desire was to purchase fish from a fish farm but quickly learned that there were more fish in the river than I could ever exhaust and they are much easier to catch than to buy and transport. If you are not planning to eat the fish, the type are not very important.

Steve you could use all river water, but why.  just get some to start the microb's in your system then use the river water to top off when ever you need too.  Just be sure and do NOT use any tap water with chlorine in  it.  Lee's idea about useing the river fish in  system is excelent,  free fish, free food!

Thanks for all the info guys.  I am really looking forward to getting things started.  Best Regards

Bob Terrell said:

Steve you could use all river water, but why.  just get some to start the microb's in your system then use the river water to top off when ever you need too.  Lee's idea about useing the river fish in  system is excelent,  free fish, free food!

We all feed each other

Steve said:

Thanks for all the info guys.  I am really looking forward to getting things started.  Best Regards

Bob Terrell said:

Steve you could use all river water, but why.  just get some to start the microb's in your system then use the river water to top off when ever you need too.  Lee's idea about useing the river fish in  system is excelent,  free fish, free food!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service