Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I want set up a small raft growing system this year and start getting into aquaponics on my largest pond.  I been doing soil gardening for 50 years but I would like to try gardening on my ponds.  I live in a very cold climate and growing on the water would have the advantage of added frost protection and not having to water during the summer.  

I have been reading and studying for 4 years now and I am ready to start jumping into it this year.  My ponds are already ice free which usually doesn't happen until May so it is a great year to get started on this as I will more time than usual to setup for planting.

This is my bass pond full of tens of thousands of large mouth bass.  Great fishing though you spend all your time pulling hooks out of 8 inch to 10 inch bass as you catch them as fast as you can throw your line in.  In a few hours of fishing and some patience you get one or two of the mid sized bass in the 17 to 20 inch range to bite.  Once in a while you can even get one of the gigantic 26-28 inch females to eat one of the smaller bass that you are reeling, though they take the fish, your lure, the line and if your not careful your pole.  We have yet to ever bring in one of the giant ones yet.

I have been checking out various forums looking on information regarding floating raft systems on ponds.  Apparently there is not a great deal of information on this topic out there.  This site appears to be largely comprised of former ghosts but does at least have some old information on what I am wanting to do in ancient posts.  Hopefully some people will show in the form and I can learn something here.

My largest pond about 80 feet wide and maybe 350 long with a small island in the middle that I want to try and use for growing.

Views: 24

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have built up my first prototype raft..  Very simple and easy and took little time.  I still need to rout holes into the plastic to hold planters and attach the ends of the logs together more sturdily but this is the basic idea of this design..

It took me about 5 minutes to cut both these two logs out, they are just punky white fir logs that weren't good enough for firewood, I have hundreds of these trees and could easily cut several hundred 4 foot logs like this to make rafts from.  Just get a dozen or so each wood cutting trip.  That would supply me with 30 to 40 logs a week to work with.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service