Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

my produce has a bland taste. how to zest it up?

Views: 1006

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

salt? pepper? Roast them? Grill them?

edit: I recommend these treatments post-harvest.

Lol Scott.  I could be wrong but I think that Robert was asking if there was anything that he needed to do to his aquaponics system to increase the flavor of the veggies, such as adding or removing some type of mineral.  I personally think it's an interesting idea and look forward to hearing the replies.

Robert - I'm guessing that if this is the case, you will get better replies if you post more info about your AP system, such as the type (flood & drain, raft, NFT, wickerbed), what type of fish, your "levels" (ammonia, pH, nitrites, nitrates), type of plants growing, etc.  One of the geniuses around here maybe able to look at that info and say "oh, your problem is X, no wonder your food is bland".

I started this discussion at work. My system is still cycling. I was talking to an organic farmer and he told me that AP systems make bland tasteing produce. Especially tomatoes. Since AP offers so much control over growing conditions I was wondering what people have done to grow premium produce. Or what causes the bland taste.

Possibly HIS system produces bland vegetables.  Mine doesn't and never has.

Robert Kyle Gress said:

I started this discussion at work. My system is still cycling. I was talking to an organic farmer and he told me that AP systems make bland tasteing produce. Especially tomatoes. Since AP offers so much control over growing conditions I was wondering what people have done to grow premium produce. Or what causes the bland taste.

I've heard people say this about hydroponics too but I've never eaten a bland hydroponic tomato. I think it may be a rivalry thing.

In my humble opinion, the bland taste I too have noticed in some if not most of the AP veggies I've grown resembles the difference in taste of wild vs. farmed meats and eggs etc. And I think it is mostly due to similar reasons. When I taste the goodness of a farm fresh free range sunny side up, I believe I taste the life of a more lively existence. Not the daily boredom of a factory engineered, drug stimulated monstrosity, void of diversity and the beneficial micro organisms that are a part of the vitality of life as are we.

I think everything we can do to build in wildness, realness, diversity, dirty, exercise/activity, etc... will add to the flavors we crave/need.

What say YOU?

The farmer who put in tons of hard work to grow the best tomatoes in soil would have a hard time admitting that a different method works well. But if he had been growing tomatoes with AP I bet his brain would tell him it's the best tomato he's ever had. Those crazy brains we have do what ever they can to protect an illusory ego that doesn't even exist. 

With my newb degree in AP systems I completely agree.

Glenn said:

I think everything we can do to build in wildness, realness, diversity, dirty, exercise/activity, etc... will add to the flavors we crave/need.

What say YOU?

Well, I couldn't really tell you if I've had a REALLY good tomato yet..But I've had some good ones. The cherry tomatoes I'm getting from my aquaponic system have been up there in the pretty darn good category. Definitely not bland or tasteless.

mine have been called "some the best ever" ,,my dad who was raised on a farm thought for sure "there is no way they could be any where close to the earthy tomato he prefers" ...and was blown away when he ate our brandywine and cherry tomatoes.. my wife loves the cherry and the sweet 100's..

most likely the system still needs some time.

I read somewhere that the flavor of a tomato is a balancing act between its acidity and it's natural sugars.  I wonder if the pH level of the water in the AP system would affect the taste, and if so, what the perfect pH would be.  I'm also curious if you had a tomato-only growing AP system, if you could introduce small amounts of sulfur and potassium to the system to increase flavor (I read that soil containing higher levels of these nutrients produce better tasting tomatoes).

Wait, how old is this system? I looked at your profile and it says 1-2 years...and you're still cycling?. Or is this a different setup?

Robert Kyle Gress said:

Hi I use a lot of Heirloom  seeds ( Rare Seeds .com )  and have people tell me all the time how sweet my strawberry's are. I tried some Cherrkee Purples this last spring and you talk about great taste!!!

I use the bare minimum additives some Calcium, some Iorn. 

My GHOST PEPPERS  are unbelievably HOT!!!

I talked with a hydro shop manager and didn't get a job there cause I didn't agree with not talking about AP systems Oh well he missed a lot of sales of tanks ,grow beds, Ect. because of a closed mind.

Good luck

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service