Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I'm having a problem with one of my bell siphons and was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem may be? The siphon will not break. It gets stuck and just keeps draining and never fills up. But it's only once in a while. 1 in 20 times it gets stuck. But that one time it will just sit forever and not fill back up the grow bed. I have tried everything. 

1. I've adjusted the water down with the ball valve but I have to adjust it so low that then the siphon won't start. 
  2. I checked the levelness of the bed
  3. I've reconfigured the plumbing and taken two elbows out. 
  4. I've adjusted the level of the stand pipe
  5. I've adjusted the gap between the top of the stand pipe and the top of the bell
  6. I've increased and decreased the angle of the drain pipe. 

What is so perplexing is that all five other grow beds are exactly the same dimensions with the same bell siphon design and they all work perfectly. The only difference is that this grow bed is not on the same drain line, It has it's own dedicated drain into the sump. but that shouldn't make a difference, right? 

I've been fighting with this one bell siphon for about two weeks and I'm fresh out of ideas.

Views: 1302

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dan,

I would suggest continuing the drain pipe with the original OD size pipe and with a 90 degree and extension of 1 ft, then allow this to enter the larger diameter pipe.

Not sure I understand Harold. 

Harold Sukhbir said:

Hi Dan,

I would suggest continuing the drain pipe with the original OD size pipe and with a 90 degree and extension of 1 ft, then allow this to enter the larger diameter pipe.

Hi Dan,

Can you tell me the size of pipe you're using for the bell? And the size pipe of the drain pipe at the bottom of the GB?

I'm using a 1 inch stand pipe with a 2 inch coupler attached to the end, a 4 inch bell, and a 1 inch drain pipe leading into a 2 inch drain that goes into the sump. here are some pics. 

Harold Sukhbir said:

Hi Dan,

Can you tell me the size of pipe you're using for the bell? And the size pipe of the drain pipe at the bottom of the GB?

Hi Dan,

Can you remove the 2" reducer, all the parts with the 2' bends, and then approximately 12" of the 2" pipe running horizontally to the sump(FT?) and replace it all with 1" pipe?  So you'll have 1" pipe exiting the GB, bending and then running horizontally for about 1 ft before it enters the 2" line.

Yes I can do that. Do you think that will work? 

Harold Sukhbir said:

Hi Dan,

Can you remove the 2" reducer, all the parts with the 2' bends, and then approximately 12" of the 2" pipe running horizontally to the sump(FT?) and replace it all with 1" pipe?  So you'll have 1" pipe exiting the GB, bending and then running horizontally for about 1 ft before it enters the 2" line.

Hi Dan,

I think it could work, there aren't any guarantees   The weight of and the suction caused by the exiting water is necessary to pull the air up into the bell and cause a break. There is something simpler that you can try. You can place a sleeve(insert from a piece of garden hose or similar) into the 1" standpipe, near the base of the GB. I've done the same, but i placed the internal sleeve(piece of snug fitting pipe) at the same point where your 1" pipe meets the 2" pipe and it worked. The downside is that it needs keeping an eye on as it starts to clog up about every couple of months and has to be removed and cleaned.

I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks for the tips. 

Off subject: Why do some of you say moderator below your picture?

Harold Sukhbir said:

Hi Dan,

I think it could work, there aren't any guarantees   The weight of and the suction caused by the exiting water is necessary to pull the air up into the bell and cause a break. There is something simpler that you can try. You can place a sleeve(insert from a piece of garden hose or similar) into the 1" standpipe, near the base of the GB. I've done the same, but i placed the internal sleeve(piece of snug fitting pipe) at the same point where your 1" pipe meets the 2" pipe and it worked. The downside is that it needs keeping an eye on as it starts to clog up about every couple of months and has to be removed and cleaned.

Hi Dan,

Off subject: Why do some of you say moderator below your picture?

Really means helpers on the site

i have had similar situation,,, what i did to correct the issue was to have the drain pipe drain into a 4 in pvc sewage pipe without connecting to the siphon pipe ,, being your pipes are connected to each other one is disturbing the others siphon process ,, have them drain into a pipe like your faucet draining into a sink and all will be good.

Maybe you could install a T vented to the outside close to the GB.  This would make it easier for air to enter.  You might have to put a vertical piece of pipe of some length into the T.

i can tell u.....plz ....the prb in  the cover to bell sephon...then get that cover and make many tat.....more from the .Perforate.waid it to that limmet not just ablet to the graft inter it ..then it will good work as shot  ..good luck......don.t 4get tell my...r thta right or not....hahahahah...i win

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service