Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Morning-
  I am a new-be to aquaponics and was wondering if it is imperitive that the bell drains totally or not and why?  I have made a small "barrel-ponics" system utalizing an 8" cpvc stand pipe and a clear food-grade jar for the bell.

  The unit cycles great but the bell only drains to 1" below the top of the stand pipe.  When the unit fills again the siphon works great and drains the resivour but the bell remains filled to within 1" of the top of the stand pipe.  Does anyone see why this would be detrimental in any way.  Thank you.
Leo White Bear

Views: 896

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

About all I can guess is that there is enough of a slope up from under the flush tank to the outlets into the grow beds that there is a little bit of an airlock happening that is holding a little vacuum in the bell after it stops.

Crazy!!!!!

 

But as I said before, if the beds are flooding and draining and the flush tank is flooding and draining and the fish tank level never drops too low for comfort, then I guess it's working.

 

Crazy but cool.  Seems like an impossibility but I'm not arguing if it works.

Thanks TC-

I really wasn't too worried, no one stated what problems there might be so......I just may leave it alone.  There are a few unconventual works in my system but it works.  Now I have to get the pump and hook it into the system.  If you think of anything please post it.  I appreciate your help.  Be well.

White Bear

TCLynx said:

About all I can guess is that there is enough of a slope up from under the flush tank to the outlets into the grow beds that there is a little bit of an airlock happening that is holding a little vacuum in the bell after it stops.

Crazy!!!!!

 

But as I said before, if the beds are flooding and draining and the flush tank is flooding and draining and the fish tank level never drops too low for comfort, then I guess it's working.

 

Crazy but cool.  Seems like an impossibility but I'm not arguing if it works.

Your line does look a little tilted in the pic, that is the only explanation.  Unless your bell alters gravity, but I'm doubting that one

 

btw, gary had a valid question. if you are asking about something, it's better not to assume you know what's important info or not

Alpine and Gary-

  I realize that the discharge tubes are a bit askew, I did that so the beds would fill equally.  My thinking is that the lower tube will discharge more water from the reservoir filling that side and equallizing the water level, hey it works!  I do appreciate everyones help with this inquiry and I also wish to give my utmost appoligies to you Gary, I didn't mean to dissmiss what you felt may be an applicable indication of what may be happining with the bell siphon.  After my accident, I have a difficult time wrapping my head around more than a few things at a time, I must be focussed on a single problem, get the situation under control and move on.  I do get confused easier now that before, I didn't mean any disrespect.  You people are the "Guru's" here and I thank you for all your assistance.  Be well.

White Bear

Alpine Aquaponics said:

Your line does look a little tilted in the pic, that is the only explanation.  Unless your bell alters gravity, but I'm doubting that one

 

btw, gary had a valid question. if you are asking about something, it's better not to assume you know what's important info or not

Hi Leo,

I was looking at the picture of the complete system and I noticed that the bend in the pipe that comes from the top tank looks to be slightly lower than the outlet pipes to the two grow beds.  If this is the case the pipe will have a small amount of water creating the effect of the water being in the bell siphon.  Try lifting the tank a few inches and make sure the outlet pipes are lower than the bend.

 

Hope this helps

Hi Leo,

Does your bell have any holes/open spaces at it's base? And is it seated on the base of the reservoir? Also the bell seems too large for the standpipe. Try a bell not more than twice the diameter of the pipe.

Alfio and Harold-

To answer Alfio's question first, there is a bend in the discharge pipe and I did also raise the reservoir until it was level and the bell still did not totally drain.  It does gurgle like an old man when the bell and the reservoir fills.

Harold-

I do have 6 holes in the side of the bell that measure the size of my pinky tip (approx 3/8"+), but I think they are too high on the sides and they create a vacuum.  I will try a smaller diameter bell as I heard that the bell should be twice the size of the stand pipe, that is 1" stand pipe--2" bell.  The stand pipe is made of an 8" length of cpvc, 3/4" diameter and the bell measures at 4" in diameter.  Thank you for your answers. Be well.

White Bear

You probably only need to mess with it if you are curious since you said that the tank is flooding and draining and that is what the siphon is meant to do.  The fact that the water is getting suspended in the bell is just curious but not necessarily a problem.

Hi Leo,

Yea, the holes should be very near to the base of the bell, the higher up the holes are placed in the bell the lower the water pressure, causing the siphon to shut off prematurely. 

Thanks Harold-

  Yeah- I will have to get a new bell (I really would like a clear bell as I can use this as a teaching tool) and be sure that the holes are much lower like right on the edge so it will drain properly.  Be well.

White Bear

Harold Sukhbir said:

Hi Leo,

Yea, the holes should be very near to the base of the bell, the higher up the holes are placed in the bell the lower the water pressure, causing the siphon to shut off prematurely. 

but if it is working, why change it?

 

You're right TC, and it does look cool!!

TCLynx said:

but if it is working, why change it?

 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service