Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Morning-
  I am a new-be to aquaponics and was wondering if it is imperitive that the bell drains totally or not and why?  I have made a small "barrel-ponics" system utalizing an 8" cpvc stand pipe and a clear food-grade jar for the bell.

The unit cycles great but the bell only drains to 1" below the top of the stand pipe.  When the unit fills again the siphon works great and drains the resivour but the bell remains filled to within 1" of the top of the stand pipe.  Does anyone see why this would be detrimental in any way.  Thank you.
Leo White Bear

Views: 970

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps you could post a picture of what is going on cause I'm a little confused.

Is this in the flush tank instead of using the Toilet flush valve?

I've never seen 8" cpvc but it sounds like an overly huge syphon.  Or do you mean it is 8" long?  In that case what size is the bore of the pipe?

So are you saying the tank drains down but some how the bell holds a vacuume holding the water up in it? but it still stops but the water doesn't fall back down?

Definitely pictures would help.

I'm also very confused lol, but if your system is cycling then I dont see there being a problem
Yea as Alpine said, if the beds are flooding and draining and the fish tank is not running too low, then things are probably good.

Thank you TC and alpine-

I appoligize that I wasn't very specific with the measurements of my bell siphon.  The stand pipe is 3/4" cpvc, 8" long.  The reserve tank completly drains to within 1" of water but the bell drains to 1" below the top of the stand pipe.  I figured that as long as the reserve tank is draining and flooding the grow beds, it shouldn't matter if the bell drains also.  I was just curious if there would be an excess of algae building up inside the bell.  Since the bell is clear, I will have no problem removing it for cleaning.

White Bear

If things are flooding and draining and the fish tank is good on level, then it's working and I won't argue with it.  However I'd still love to see some pictures to try and understand what is going on.  About all I can guess is there must be some sort of trap at the bottom of your drain in order for the gulp of air not to drop the water out of the bell when the siphon stops.

Yeah please post some pics of your plumbing or if possible a video, Im trying to wrap my head around what could be happening.  I think TCL is right though, there has to be some lack of air to cause a vacuum that is holding your water up. Maybe you have 2 points in the drain line that hold water without letting air thru (after siphon stops) when I think theres only supposed to be 1??

If you just made the bell out of pvc and added an air line like examples show theres no way that could happen anymore, but having a clear ones kinda cool haha. Read this

http://www.aquaplanetonline.com/PDF/resource_papers/Bell%20Siphon%2...

Alpine-

I know that there is a vacuum keeping the bell from completely draining but I don't see what the difficulty would be if it does or not.  I was trying to find out if there was anything detrimental if it doesn't drain totally.  As long as the reservoir drains completely and the water in the bell is lower than the stand pipe when the cycle begins again it should be fine.   When it cycles and the bell finishes filling the last 1 inch, the siphon starts working and the drainage in the reservoir completes itself, just to start again.  If I must, I can install a snorkel, to empty the water in the bell if necessary, at the moment there is none.  Be well.

White Bear

Oh no, no reason to change it and no problem as long as it is working.  We are just curious as to why, we want to see pictures
Is your bell drain terminating under water or trapped in any way?

Gary and TC-

Gary-  The bell siphon does not terminate below water it drains directly above the grow beds, this is not the subject of the inquiry.  The bell of the bell siphon, is a clear container and the water in the bell only drops 1" below the top of the stand-pipe.

TC-  Like I said, when it stops raining I will go out and get pics of the bell siphon, inside of the reservoir.  I hope you will be able to see what I am inquiring about.  Other than that it works just fine.

White Bear

It might not have been the subject of the inquiry,but it was a needed piece of information because what you describe is a physical impossibility. At least now I know why your bell won't drain and yes I consider it a problem, but since it wasn't the subject of your inquiry...................?

Leo White Bear said:

Gary and TC

Gary-  The bell siphon does not terminate below water it drains directly above the grow beds, this is not the subject of the inquiry.  The bell of the bell siphon, is a clear container and the water in the bell only drops 1" below the top of the stand-pipe.

TC-  Like I said, when it stops raining I will go out and get pics of the bell siphon, inside of the reservoir.  I hope you will be able to see what I am inquiring about.  Other than that it works just fine.

White Bear

Gary-

If you see a problem involved with my bell not draining totally - pray,do tell.  I figure if the system continues to work otherwise then KISS.  If there is a problem, let another know, don't hold it in, let it out, you'll feel better (at least I'll feel better :)  )

Anyways-  It was nice enough for me to get a few pics so I will try to post them.

Gary Searle said:

It might not have been the subject of the inquiry,but it was a needed piece of information because what you describe is a physical impossibility. At least now I know why your bell won't drain and yes I consider it a problem, but since it wasn't the subject of your inquiry...................?

Leo White Bear said:

Gary and TC

White Bear

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service