Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

This monsters can get up to 100 lbs. Does anyone know if they would make a good aquaponics fish for Central Florida? I'm leaning toward Tilapia, but until I actually stock my tank, there remain options.

Views: 491

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't go with asian carp since they are so invasive.  I'm not all that big on the tilapia either.  I'm quite partial to channel catfish since they get big fast here in FL, they are native, they are easy to get and easy to grow, and they are good eating.

Much of the world things carp is great but they are boney by our lazy American standards

I've been giving carp a second look lately. Here in Cali, only triploid sterile carp are allowed, 'cause carp pretty much thrive everywhere. I'd recommend buying one live at the Asian market and trying it out first. Everybody I've talked to who has never eaten one swears are horrible, and the very few I've talked to that have eaten one say they're pretty damned good. Cooking one up for myself is on my todo list this week.

LOL, my uncle's carp recipe.

catch a carp, clean/gut it

Find a pine board, measure and cut to just longer than the carp.

Place the carp on board

Bake at 350 F

Remove from oven,

Discard carp, eat board.

All joking aside, most of the world thinks carp are a great thing to eat and they are the most farmed fish species with tilapia only now catching up to them.

But still, I prefer natives if there are any good natives in your part of the world.

Carp is definitely considered native around here. Now, I tried some that tasted better than others. But I've eaten catfish that tasted downright 'muddy', then again I've had catfish on my plate that I wouldn't have traded for salmon. I guess a lot of it depends on how it's prepared and where the fish grew up...Not all fish can be trout.

That being said...to be fair the term "Asian Carp" seems to encompass about 9 different species. I'm sure not all of them are as good eatin' fish as others...

One of my favorite carp dishes is Pijani Saran (literally translated, "Drunken Carp") or breaded and baked.

Where in the world do you get "sterile" carp and how do they "sterilize" them!? Uggh.

There must be another species of carp we can grow in Northern Cali?

http://woldbiology.edublogs.org/2012/04/24/the-invasion-of-asian-ca... Some of these can jump 15 or 20 feet. Be careful with that 100 pounder he may take out the garage.

Jason, I'd have to look it up again, but more or less they take fertilized eggs and shock them, usually with pressure, to cause the chromosomes to triple up, thus "triploid" carp. They grow and mature fine, but cannot pass viable DNA to procreate. The process works with most any fish, I was recently reading that they can do it to bluegill, but have only a few hours of window after fertilization to be successful.
Fertile carp are in California, I've seen them at clear lake and millerton, and while freediving in the naciemento river, they are pretty common. But they are invasive, and DFG has put some laws out there. I haven't researched specific carp law, but I do know triploids are available and encouraged.

I'd rather be eating bluegill or any pan fish than carp but that's what we have and raise here so I eat my share. Like catfish, they may or may-not have a muddy taste if pond raised.

No more to add...ditto above comments.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service