Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

hi,

Due to space requirements I have my bio filter suspended on a grate system (kind sold at outdoor coy pond stores)  in my sump tank.  however it is not able to hold the weight on just the leg holes, it breaks though after several months of use.   

What sort of material or blocks can i use in the sump tank that will not leach into the system. to support this grate.   

Views: 327

Replies to This Discussion

post a photo please.

Clay bricks?

Concrete blocks would work but they will also leach some lime for a period of time so might not be desirable.

High quality stainless steel pipes might work but would be costly and finding high quality stainless steel fittings to make a frame would be more difficult.

Phil Slaton said:

post a photo please.

Attachments:

Please stand back a bit to take the photo [wie angle, not close up] so that I can get the whole prospective.

hmmm..... the block issue is exactly my worry,,,   SS is out due to the very points you make....  which is why I did what I did only to find it is not working long term.  the COY people do not seem to worry much about the fish and do not plan to produce food,,,  they use concrete blocks and gave me odd looks when I questioned it... 

now that TCLynx is stumped I am worried,...   ;)

TCLynx said:

Clay bricks?

Concrete blocks would work but they will also leach some lime for a period of time so might not be desirable.

High quality stainless steel pipes might work but would be costly and finding high quality stainless steel fittings to make a frame would be more difficult.

Would plastic milk crates, with the metal band removed, work or would they take up too much real estate?

In that case I would probably get some muratic acid and concrete blocks.  Rinse the blocks well and put them in a stock tank or something.  Fill with water to cover and add some muratic acid (use proper safety precautions) to speed the leaching process.  Let them soak.  You might do this acid washing with them a couple times to reduce the amount they will affect the system pH once used to support your bio-filter.

Concrete blocks are too dangerous, IMO.  If milk crates will not work, how about plastic kids stools that are about the same size or the toy big plastic blocks, the smaller plastic crates from WaMart.

How about plastic trailer jack stands, you can get them at at any camper/trailer store or Camper World http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/trailer-jack-stand/58320  You can extend them with stainless steel pipe.  Or change over to stainless steel pipe.  BTW it comes un-threaded. You can find dealers of stainless steel pipe close to you through Google.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service