Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I don't consider myself a hard core prepper but I do try to plan for potential disaster situations as I can. I think having an AP system is a great match for any survival plan. Wrote a blog post about the reasons here: http://www.whatisaquaponics.co/4-reasons-preppers-need-an-aquaponic...

Any other aquapons consider their system part of a survival plan?

Views: 1421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've got a Radian 8048 grid tie with battery backup and an enphase system. Total 9.5 kw. Not enough to go off grid yet.

Jacalope said:

I'm a prepper - and if I had the money I'd be a hard-core one!  Having an AP system is definitely a part of my prepping....

Currently working on an off grid solar system. Even more money to spend!  I like it!

Hey mark your ahead of us what type of battery bank do you have and are you able to run everything without breaks

And what kind of batteries. Also was wondering for apt poeple like me can you place things on solar pannel using it like table there would be reduced energy

Also do you have a wind system to compliment it

Hi Ray,

48 volt battery bank. 8 ...6volt 200 Ah batteries in series. 2 groups in parallel. Not enough capacity when running AC.

But adequate during the cooler months.

ow are you 

Do you have wind system too 

I had an idea to use a solar pannel as a table for

Plants like a shelf for ppl living in

Apartments 

I mean how bad can it be the energy reduction with plants blocking it

Are the batteries deep cycle the ac is tuff a cooler loaded with ice and fan can bring temp down.

Thanks Bob, I figured you should know. I saw it for the first time this week looking sooo bright that I looked it up and people were getting a bit freaked out by it. Doesn't take much these days to set folks off. And Jacalope: just keep your AP system under cover and the rain water out, in a GH or the like until we know more. I regret that our GH was open all Summer and I know what's in the rain and it ain't pretty. Had no time to replace the cover till now and the CTs have been shall I say "spectacular" here lately.

Bob Terrell said:

Rob, It is Venus,  Saturn is to the right of the Moon and lower.  mercury is above the moon at this time

Jim Fisk said:

How many of you on this thread are following the CT fiasco? I use the abbreviation because if you are you know what ct stands for and another reason to keep your AP system under cover or in a GH. EVERY cloud in the sky here today is chemically formed.

Also anyone else watching the bright object that is getting brighter every day in the SW sky just after sunset? Hope it is Venus.

Ray, for what you have to pay for solar panels I don't think you want to cover them with anything. If you have S facing window(s) perhaps you could hang it off the sill and below the sill aimed directly S and be able to adjust the angle to match the Sun at different times of year. It must "face" the Sun to get full output which ain't much.

Hey Mark, I have been offered 12 2v deep cycles for free that came off a system. At 2500 lbs. it would cost me 500 in fuel to go get them on Cape Cod with my Cummins PU. What are the chances of refurbing the "real" dcyc. bats? Never had access to those big bad boys before but I seem to recall that they can be taken apart and cleaned and put back in service. These would be perfect for our water powered gen set. (I know, a toxic job)

Mark Hall said:

I've got a Radian 8048 grid tie with battery backup and an enphase system. Total 9.5 kw. Not enough to go off grid yet.

Out of my expertise....I'd sure want to know what charge they are holding....how old...etc.

Jim Fisk said: > And Jacalope: just keep your AP system under cover and the rain water out, in a GH or the like until we know more. I regret that our GH was open all Summer and I know what's in the rain and it ain't pretty. Had no time to replace the cover till now and the CTs have been shall I say "spectacular" here lately. >

Hi Jim, my AP is under cover from day one.  The planes have been busy here too.  Guess there's plenty of gov money for them; no shut down. 

i think planes are on there own till workers come back.

what do you guys think about the solar oven I took a solar shower this summer the

sun heated the bag to 106 degrees good enough. Ohh do you guys know of any issues

with the sun affecting the growth of a fish...

would nt the sun produce more Alge

yea bu thats not as to say they could have some sort of station behind venus we dont know about: thats very possible.

or at least why would it not be...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service