Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Can I use Ammonium Phosphate to Cycle my system. I'm retired Military living in the Philippines and have not been able to find pure Ammonia or Ammonium Chloride,and would like to do a fishless cycle. BTW I'm just starting gathering parts and supplies to build my first IBC system.

Views: 339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, urine is always available. If you store it for a week or two, it will convert to ammonia, which you can use to cycle your system.

Thanks Alex

Alex Veidel said:

Well, urine is always available. If you store it for a week or two, it will convert to ammonia, which you can use to cycle your system.

Thanks Randall

Randall Wimbish said:

Cycling does not have to be done fishless. You can start with a couple of goldfish and I have read about  using a dead shrimp to get ammonia in the water.

Hello Mr. Avens,

Hows your AP doing? 

Doing good I didn't use the Ammonium Phosphate. I cycled with fish and have good growth. Thanks for asking.

Yron said:

Hello Mr. Avens,

Hows your AP doing? 

That's good to know. I've recently started setting-up my AP system (less than 6 months), I'm done with my GB, and in the works of setting-up a combination of a network of 2" pipes as NFT around the house and 4" pipes for as vertical/tower system. I already have an existing 75 gallon fish tank with cyclids before I was hooked to AP, I was wondering since you mentioned that your AP system is here in the Philippines, we have most likely same climate, I would like to learn from your own experience cycling the system and is there any locally available test kits around?

Where are you in the Philippines. I found test kit at a pet store in Angeles City 

Yron said:

That's good to know. I've recently started setting-up my AP system (less than 6 months), I'm done with my GB, and in the works of setting-up a combination of a network of 2" pipes as NFT around the house and 4" pipes for as vertical/tower system. I already have an existing 75 gallon fish tank with cyclids before I was hooked to AP, I was wondering since you mentioned that your AP system is here in the Philippines, we have most likely same climate, I would like to learn from your own experience cycling the system and is there any locally available test kits around?

I'm in Los Banos, Laguna, an hour south of Manila. Is your AP system commercial scale? Or backyard just like mine? I better scour my local pet stores here then. How many IBC system do you have so far? are there any conventions/training workshops here in the Philippines? any recommendations? what about AP community?.. Sorry, I may be out of topic in your thread.

backyard using IBCs and blue barrels. I've only have the one now with a 1000 liter fish tank, IBC sump tank, 3 IBC grow beds and 4 blue barrel grow beds. Heres the address to 1 Facebook AP group https://www.facebook.com/groups/philippineaquaponics/, No problem to me about the topic glad to be of some help if I can. If you would like to contact me direct my email is savens6333@gmail.com and on facebook as Steve Avens.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service