Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I've been doing some research about alternative feed. some studies show duckweed; I think that Moringa Oleifera  leaves are the best.The leaves are very rich with a balance diet, It's a tree that grows in tropical and subtropical climate easy to maintain and within 6 Months of planting  you can start harvesting the leaves.

I would like to hear your thought in that one.

Afraitane.  

Views: 1283

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you consider Black Solder Flies?

Eric Warwick said:
Well I trying to give the future fish a natural diet. (who cares about past tense or post tense) Anyways, 275 gallons is only about 5-7 fish to feed. (trout)

Chamsiddine Afraitane said:
Warwick your idea of the worms is good but you'll never have enough if you're running a big operation 

Eric Warwick said:
Will the cat-feed work for trout? As the fish feed I'm thinking of, (not the bsfl and worms chopped in a food preprocessor and frozen, no a little less crazy now then when I thought of that) silver cup trout feed is only in a large quantity and I'm only going to feed about 275 gallons worth of fish. (stupid jumbled sentence)  

Crickets are good for fish, as are worms and BSF larvae.  I have to admit I’m sceptical feeding fish things that are not that made specifically for fish.  I have a worm farm with a worm extractor, and duckweed that I’m growing in my tropical fish tank.  I’m also looking at getting a BioPod Plus for Black Soldier Fly Larvae (http://www.theaquaponicstore.com/Aquaponics-Fish-Feeding-s/52.htm)  or the home made version (http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/bsf-bucket-composter-version-2-1/)

Also you have to remember most fingerlings have been feed pellets and sometimes it takes time to train them to eat other foods.  I have two angel fish in my tropical fish tank one will eat live worms the other just watches them float past, but they both eat the pallets..  I’m trying to get them both to eat the worms as I get them for free from my worm farm..

Cut a worm up.  It will make it easier for the fish to eat, it might feel safer because it's smaller, and the worm guts will give off a smell to the fish to tell it it's yummy. 

I have also frozen and cut worms up with some success.  You can also do this by letting the worm dry out by leaving it somewhere dry.  The worm essentially cuts into pellet like pieces, and you can just toss those in!

Alfio Contarino said:

Crickets are good for fish, as are worms and BSF larvae.  I have to admit I’m sceptical feeding fish things that are not that made specifically for fish.  I have a worm farm with a worm extractor, and duckweed that I’m growing in my tropical fish tank.  I’m also looking at getting a BioPod Plus for Black Soldier Fly Larvae (http://www.theaquaponicstore.com/Aquaponics-Fish-Feeding-s/52.htm)  or the home made version (http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/bsf-bucket-composter-version-2-1/)

Also you have to remember most fingerlings have been feed pellets and sometimes it takes time to train them to eat other foods.  I have two angel fish in my tropical fish tank one will eat live worms the other just watches them float past, but they both eat the pallets..  I’m trying to get them both to eat the worms as I get them for free from my worm farm..

One of the common types of composting worms "Eisenia fetida" can give off an odor that some fish don't like apparently.  Now I wonder if this is the sort of thing that is not species specific but more on an individual to individual basis or more of a genetic trait (like some cats don't have the genetic predisposition to like catnip while most love it.)  Maybe you one fish has the trait to dislike fetida while the other fish thinks "good more for me."

Dried worms could probably be easily ground up and mixed with other ingredients to make a more balanced fish feed.

I blend the worms duckweed and some pellets together and freeze them in to small blocks.  Best to get a cheap blender to do this.

I will try the drying of them and see how it goes...

That a very good idea, but you should ad carbohydrate  as well as vitamin C. those are vital element for any feed. 

Alfio Contarino said:

I blend the worms duckweed and some pellets together and freeze them in to small blocks.  Best to get a cheap blender to do this.

I will try the drying of them and see how it goes...

They make vitamin ad-mixtures that you can use when mixing your own feeds.
Many thanks for sharing the info on BSF. Opens up a number of uses and opportunities for this insect. Wow. Reduce waste, create rich soil amendments, feed for fish and chickens!
They are great, just keep in mind that they are not a complete diet for fish or chickens, just a really great supplement.
FWIW, I read a study (found here) that found that a diet of 50% high quality commercial fish food and 50% duckweed produced a significantly faster growth curve for tilapia than just commercial feed.

HI TC

I just picked up a pellet mill Im very interested about the vitiamin pack could you use this with spent grains and who manufactures the pack

TCLynx said:

They make vitamin ad-mixtures that you can use when mixing your own feeds.

I am curious about the vitiamin ad-mixtures too. 

Anyone have more information or links about it?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service