Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

The recent discussion about water hyacinth has been on my mind, and it seemed worthy of opening a new discussion.  Maybe we can find a few good alternatives.

There were a couple good links provided by Dr George Brooks I'd like to keep from becoming lost.

Sludge Busters

Prohibited Noxious Weeds in Arizona

I have come up with only a few choices.  One that makes good sense is Parrot Feather.  The good thing about Parrot Feather is the fish are not as likely to eat it, I say not as likely because I think my Koi nibble the roots.  It's invasive, and may also be banded from some locals, but I did not see it on the list above.   If floating plants are not required thenI would also assume Papyrus would be a good choice.  There are at least two types of Papyrus, and I have both,  One is short (about 2') while the other is large (about 5').   Space may dictate which one you prefer. Papyrus propagates easily and has fine hair roots.

Water Hyacinth is legal where I live. But I have not been able to keep in in my pond over the Winter. In the Summer it spreads very quickly and most of it ends up in my compost.

Views: 1101

Replies to This Discussion

Hopefully I get it right this time.

Banned plant in Arizona. http://bit.ly/Sa1nJX

I set up a BSF larvae bin, but all it attracts is house flies.  I know we have BSF because I had them in an outhouse not far from here.

I planted Bacopa and Creeping Jenny yesterday in my indoor raft.  The fish don't seem to be too wild about either, but I think it was gone this morning.  I also tried feeding them Perslane, but I saw it still floating around this morning.  That surprised me because  Perslane tastes good.

I'm still trying to figure out what duckweed likes.  I have a good batch growing outdoors, but every attempt to bring it indoors fails.  It would be nice to find something that does not require a lot of light. 

Chris George said:

@Bob....cool plant article.  I really like Salvinia, but I'm going to check the 'prohibited/restricted' list and since it's prolific, I bet I find it's a no-no here.  Do you have a BSF larvae bin set-up....they are great fish & chicken food, I haven't set one up yet but plan to.  

Thanks, your link was the exact one I needed....and as I suspected Salvinia is a no-no.  Seems anything I find is....  Back to plain old duckweed I guess.  And maybe azolla if we find out it does okay here.

Bob C. thought he put the file in the first post of this thread.  So, it would be easy to locate.  But somehow he copied the sludge article twice.....

Robert C. Rowe (Bob) said:

Try the "Search Function" it should find every subject we have collectively put out there. See top right of screen.

Chris George said:

Too bad there isn't a place on this group's site for 'files', most groups have that....unless we do and I've missed it!!  

No worries, and thanks, also got the link from Robert C....other Bob....looked up Salvinia and it's a no-no here in AZ, at least the 'Giant' variety.  Figures....  I really liked it.

Bob Campbell said:

Hopefully I get it right this time.

Banned plant in Arizona. http://bit.ly/Sa1nJX

I set up a BSF larvae bin, but all it attracts is house flies.  I know we have BSF because I had them in an outhouse not far from here.

I planted Bacopa and Creeping Jenny yesterday in my indoor raft.  The fish don't seem to be too wild about either, but I think it was gone this morning.  I also tried feeding them Perslane, but I saw it still floating around this morning.  That surprised me because  Perslane tastes good.

I'm still trying to figure out what duckweed likes.  I have a good batch growing outdoors, but every attempt to bring it indoors fails.  It would be nice to find something that does not require a lot of light. 

Chris George said:

@Bob....cool plant article.  I really like Salvinia, but I'm going to check the 'prohibited/restricted' list and since it's prolific, I bet I find it's a no-no here.  Do you have a BSF larvae bin set-up....they are great fish & chicken food, I haven't set one up yet but plan to.  

Heard another use for Salvinia is digesting TNT from military waste dumps "Red Zones"

@John....and Salvinia's not bad looking either, prohibited here in AZ

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service