Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I'm organizing probably the first tour of aquaponics systems in the Sacramento, California USA area, to be held sometime in the next few months.  Any advice from those of you who may have put together a similar tour before? 

 

This will be of home systems, because we don't have commercial systems established here.  It is intended not for the general public, but for local aquaponics folks--this will be the first time we've gotten together.  I've been reaching out to folks on all the forums, including of course this one (my favorite!), with pretty good response so far.

 

I don't think there will be money involved.  People's addresses etc. would be shared only as much as necessary to pull of the tour--not circulated any more than that.  It's not clear to me yet how much time we ought to allot to each site, or how many sites would be ideal for a one-day event, or what else to consider that might not be obvious.  Any thoughts? 

 

I've organized many different types of events in the past but never an AP tour.  So thanks in advance for any advice!

 

Paul

joezbro@gmail.com

Views: 148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike Cosmo organized the first couple of AP tours around Central Florida so he might be able to share some info.

4 stops were all we usually managed to fit in here in Central FL but there was quite a lot of driving involved since we were spread across 4 or more counties.

Thanks TC!  So nice to have input from someone of your experience...  Paul

TCLynx said:

Mike Cosmo organized the first couple of AP tours around Central Florida so he might be able to share some info.

4 stops were all we usually managed to fit in here in Central FL but there was quite a lot of driving involved since we were spread across 4 or more counties.

Hi Paul,

I live in Fresno and would love to join the tour if I could.

A few years ago I was involved in our local orchid society. We did an annual tour of greenhouses. It was a very casual time with the host just showing what he/she had done and answering any questions. The last house we visited usually had some food/snacks and everyone had some time time to visit.

I wouldn't stress too much about it. Just find the volunteers and map out the tour.

 

Todd

Todd,

Good to hear from you.  Will let you know when we get closer to nailing down a date.  Looking now like one of the first 3 Sundays in June, but that could change.

And thanks for the advice!

 

Paul

Todd Sowell said:

Hi Paul,

I live in Fresno and would love to join the tour if I could.

A few years ago I was involved in our local orchid society. We did an annual tour of greenhouses. It was a very casual time with the host just showing what he/she had done and answering any questions. The last house we visited usually had some food/snacks and everyone had some time time to visit.

I wouldn't stress too much about it. Just find the volunteers and map out the tour.

 

Todd

Paul, We are in Tracy ca and are interested in doing some farm tours of within CA. Did your farm tour ever get off the ground? Do you have any advice for finding farms to tour?

Regards

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

We did have our tour - it was a blast - see http://aquaponicscommunity.com/group/sacramento-aquaponics/forum/to....  It included 5 backyard aquaponic systems, not aquaponic "farms" per se.  We don't have any commercial AP operations in Sac region - yet.  Don't know of others around the state.  Perhaps you might look through posts in the California group on this site, or post a discussion there asking about aquaponic farms you might visit.

Paul



Kelly schultz said:

Paul, We are in Tracy ca and are interested in doing some farm tours of within CA. Did your farm tour ever get off the ground? Do you have any advice for finding farms to tour?

Regards

Kelly

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service