Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I was wondering what are the reason for a cover for my fish pool in the summer. A fish farmer told me if I have small ones the birds can come down and eat them, and I guess the water will evaporate more. But are there any other reasons why I need one right now.I haven't put fish in yet because I only have 3 of my 10 grow beds working right, but I hope to have fish in the pool within the next 2 weeks. And I am starting with gold fish because the price is right for experimenting.

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Adrena.  The reasons the fish farmer gave you are certainly good ones, but there are a few more.  Some fish do like to go exploring, so a polyethylene netting is a great choice to suspend tightly over your tank.  Even the ones that jump out and are lucky enough to be scooped up and put back in, don't tell their friends that its really bad out there and don't jump out!  But on a serious note, a shade cover will also inhibit algae growth in your fish tank.  You will want to minimize algae growth for several reasons such as not having it take up valuable nutrients and that it has a very short life span and will go aneroebic in your system giving off ammonia and stealing valuable oxygen for your fish and plants.

Here is a blog post I did on this subject.

Fish Jump

Thanks Gina for answering my question. I knew I needed one but I always want to know what all reasons I do the things I do. I have left over mesh from my gardens to keep birds and rabbits out. I can use that and I have some fabric and 6 millimeter plastic to use for the cover, and some hinges. I guess I better get busy. So much to do, lol. Again thanks

Gina Cavaliero said:
Hi Adrena.  The reasons the fish farmer gave you are certainly good ones, but there are a few more.  Some fish do like to go exploring, so a polyethylene netting is a great choice to suspend tightly over your tank.  Even the ones that jump out and are lucky enough to be scooped up and put back in, don't tell their friends that its really bad out there and don't jump out!  But on a serious note, a shade cover will also inhibit algae growth in your fish tank.  You will want to minimize algae growth for several reasons such as not having it take up valuable nutrients and that it has a very short life span and will go aneroebic in your system giving off ammonia and stealing valuable oxygen for your fish and plants.
Good idea, I don't have any animals, just stray rabbits and other critters. Thank you for your time. Every bit of help is needed in this adventure.

TCLynx said:

Here is a blog post I did on this subject.

Fish Jump

Sure thing Adrena.  Glad to!  :-

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service