Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hello,

I have the 275 g ft and nine halfed blue barrels.  I see posts and comments that are a little conflicting; For example, there needs to be a ratio of one to four fish and veggies.  Does size matter? How fingerlings can I put in given the above specs.   Thanks for the help.

 

Noob

Andrew 

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Andrew,

You have more FT volume than your GB volume. So using the GB volume of approx. 225 gallons, and at 1 lb fish per every 7 gallons media, this would be a maximum of 32 fish left to growout to 1 lb each. So your FT can accommodate 32 lbs of fish given the volume of  your GB's.

You can learn more here

http://community.theaquaponicsource.com//page/aquaponic-gardening-r...

Thanks,

Is that how people buy fish? buy the pound?

 

No, you need to think ahead at how big your fish are gonna be when you "harvest" them, if indeed you are planning on eating your fish. Fingerlings are really small and don't weigh very much, but they will get bigger. You need to be certain your growbeds can support that amount of aquatic life. What kind of fish are you raising?

Oh, and a good ratio to shoot for is a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio of growbed cubic feet to fish tank cubic feet.

so I should buy fingerlings and them grow out
 
Harold Sukhbir said:

Hi Andrew,

You have more FT volume than your GB volume. So using the GB volume of approx. 225 gallons, and at 1 lb fish per every 7 gallons media, this would be a maximum of 32 fish left to growout to 1 lb each. So your FT can accommodate 32 lbs of fish given the volume of  your GB's.

You can learn more here

http://community.theaquaponicsource.com//page/aquaponic-gardening-r...

Hi Andrew,

So, 32 fingerlings will eventually growout to become 32 lbs of fish. In my AP this process takes about 6 months. As they grow over a pound each, i then have to start culling/removing fish approx. every month to maintain the original maximum of 32 lbs for my system. So if my 32 fish are approaching an average weight of 1 1/4 each, this is a total weight of 40 lbs fish in the system, i will have to remove 10 fish for my monthly dinner

I think Im going with some type of tilapia; I already have the strawberries and Im cleaning the pea gravel today.
 
Alex Veidel said:

No, you need to think ahead at how big your fish are gonna be when you "harvest" them, if indeed you are planning on eating your fish. Fingerlings are really small and don't weigh very much, but they will get bigger. You need to be certain your growbeds can support that amount of aquatic life. What kind of fish are you raising?

Thanks, Just for the record I did order the Aquaponic  Gardening  book last night.  lol
 
Harold Sukhbir said:

Hi Andrew,

So, 32 fingerlings will eventually growout to become 32 lbs of fish. In my AP this process takes about 6 months. As they grow over a pound each, i then have to start culling/removing fish approx. every month to maintain the original maximum of 32 lbs for my system. So if my 32 fish are approaching an average weight of 1 1/4 each, this is a total weight of 40 lbs fish in the system, i will have to remove 10 fish for my monthly dinner

Will 32 fingelings be enough to support my nine half barrels?  My next system will be different I hate using blue barrels but they are cheap.  lol
 
Andrew Cope said:

Thanks, Just for the record I did order the Aquaponic  Gardening  book last night.  lol
 
Harold Sukhbir said:

Hi Andrew,

So, 32 fingerlings will eventually growout to become 32 lbs of fish. In my AP this process takes about 6 months. As they grow over a pound each, i then have to start culling/removing fish approx. every month to maintain the original maximum of 32 lbs for my system. So if my 32 fish are approaching an average weight of 1 1/4 each, this is a total weight of 40 lbs fish in the system, i will have to remove 10 fish for my monthly dinner

Hi Andrew,

9 half barrels = 25 gallons x 9 = 225 gallons

1 lb fish per 7 gallons of media

225 divided by 7 = 32 fish

225 gallons of media will support 32 fish at a maximum of 1 lb each, following the rules of thumb

http://community.theaquaponicsource.com//page/aquaponic-gardening-r...

Hey Harold,

 

What if I needed the veggies more than the fish can I add additional fingerlings or something to support my strawberrys  which will be in every barrel?

Hi Andrew,

I suggest you follow the link i sent you and read/study properly. If you are going to get into Aquaponics you need to know all the right information yourself, so that you can design a good system and avoid running into problems later on. If you don't understand the basic principles yourself, your Aquaponics will give you problems and you are going to make mistakes which you are going to regret later on.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service