Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hello All!

I started reading about Aquaponics about 3 weeks ago.  I'm a fish guy at heart and finding this triggered something in my head.  Took my first intro class tuesday of this week, went out that very next morning bought my blue barrels (not exactly what I wanted, but will work for this trial run)  worked on my drawing for most of wednesday, picked up plumbing today, with any luck my pumps, grow media, and heaters will be in by tomorrow. 

I have a long weekend and I'm planning on having a complete working system (hardware atleast) By Sunday.  I will use my existing aquarium, fish, water and bio matter to jump start my system.  I'm sure I will end up killing a few of my fish and having to redo something but I can't wait to get it started. 

I'll have some picks up by tuesday!!

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well seeing as you are a fish guy, I expect you should know about fishless cycling.  (provided you don't use any aquarium medications not meant for human consumption) You can use some filter squeesings to seed your new system and use your water change water from the aquarium to also help seed the system but I'd recommend leaving your fish in the already cycled up aquarium and adding an alternative ammonia source to your aquaponics system until it's fishlessly cycled.

This is just a reminder to you about something you already know.  (It seems it's not that uncommon for aquarium people to get all caught up and excited about aquaponics and totally forget that all new tank/system need to be cycled up first.)

Agreed and all true, somethings can not be rushed beyond a point.  the sad part is my pumps, grow media, and heaters did not arrive as planned. I guess I will do as much as I can and wait for the other times to come.

Luckily I have never used any meds in my fish tanks!  so I'm good with that.

Well seeing as you are a fish guy, I expect you should know about fishless cycling.  (provided you don't use any aquarium medications not meant for human consumption) You can use some filter squeesings to seed your new system and use your water change water from the aquarium to also help seed the system but I'd recommend leaving your fish in the already cycled up aquarium and adding an alternative ammonia source to your aquaponics system until it's fishlessly cycled.

This is just a reminder to you about something you already know.  (It seems it's not that uncommon for aquarium people to get all caught up and excited about aquaponics and totally forget that all new tank/system need to be cycled up first.)

Well that gives you a chance to plumb everything together and make sure it doesn't leak before you are tempted to fill it with media.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service