Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

This is my 1st system and its been fun getting here. Still a lot to learn.

I'm using a 140 gallon feed tub as a FT and 4- 2 x 3 ft mixing trays as GB's. The media is cinder(lava), there's a lot of that here in Hawaii.

I've ganged the 4 GB together with 2" PVC with drains at the bottom. The drains are 2" shower drains. The system completes with an external siphon dumping back into the FT. The system cycles every 15 minutes and hasn't missed a beat for 2 weeks now(knock on wood).

I'm about done with the fishless cycling, just waiting for the nitrites to drop before adding fish.

Criticism and advice are totally welcome.

I'm trying to post pictures as well. Hope they show up.

Views: 2675

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Larry,

Neat looking system. I like the external siphon a lot. Do you have a cover for the FT? As you may know shading reduces algae build up in the FT.

Hey Harold,

I'm trying to get to that now. About 2/3rds of the FT is covered by the GB and the other 1/3rd is sitting in the hot Hawaiian sun. Weekend is starting, maybe I can take care of that tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Larry,

That really is a neat looking system.  Could you post some photos of the undercarriage so that we can see the plumbing?

Good luck with the system.

That external siphon looks really sleek.  Good Job.

By the way, you can post pictures right into your posts using the image button, it's the second from the left at the top of the test entry box when you are typing.

Here are some shots of the underside. It's very simple and seems to be working well.

Thanks for looking

Very pretty plumbing too.
I've been a plumber for 35 years. For me, the pipes are the easy part.

TCLynx said:
Very pretty plumbing too.

Hum, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder on my plumbing.  I think I dubbed it PL-Art once.  This is what happens when you tend to grow and change your systems and the cut out pieces wind up in a pile for later experiments.  It is generally these later experiments (where you are unwilling to go get new plumbing pieces at the time and so spend the day piecing together what you have) and it comes out looking like some really strange junk sculpture in which water flows.  Some of mine have even been a bit kinetic.  (Kinda mad scientist sort of stuff going on sometimes.)

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the plumbing photos... as TCLynx said, it looks really neat.  Excuse me for asking what is probably a dumb question but there is one thing I was wondering about.... all the beds are attached together underneath so that they all fill up at the same time and to the same level, and then get drained out of the one external siphon right?

I noticed in the main picture though, that you have ball valves on the pipes with the water flowing into each of the beds.  I was just wondering what these are for?  If all of the beds are connected anyway, then why the need to control the flow to each of the individual beds... or are you able to isolate individual beds if you need to?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am just curious about plumbing techniques and I reckon it is better to ask than not to!

Also, I would love to know how you out the external siphon together - it looks very neat.

Sorry for all the questions, it is just that I have the components for a new system arriving soon, and I suspect that it will end up looking very similar to your own - hence the particular interest!

Hi Larry,

You've got some great plumbing skills alright! I have my FT inflow entering at an angle which creates rotation. The pump is center FT and rotation causes the solids to migrate toward this center suction point. This way I never have to clean the FT manually. This water movement sightly increases oxygenation and safeguards against anaerobic buildup. I believe it helps the fish to grow a little faster as well. If you're interested in using this design you can see it on my page.

Good questions. Yes, all GB are hooked together. The individual fill valves are to distribute the solids evenly throughout the 4 GBs, the better to support the worms I will be adding. As you have noted I can also isolate and even remove any grow bed in the system although I don't expect to need to do that.

Japan Aquaponics said:

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the plumbing photos... as TCLynx said, it looks really neat.  Excuse me for asking what is probably a dumb question but there is one thing I was wondering about.... all the beds are attached together underneath so that they all fill up at the same time and to the same level, and then get drained out of the one external siphon right?

I noticed in the main picture though, that you have ball valves on the pipes with the water flowing into each of the beds.  I was just wondering what these are for?  If all of the beds are connected anyway, then why the need to control the flow to each of the individual beds... or are you able to isolate individual beds if you need to?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am just curious about plumbing techniques and I reckon it is better to ask than not to!

Also, I would love to know how you out the external siphon together - it looks very neat.

Sorry for all the questions, it is just that I have the components for a new system arriving soon, and I suspect that it will end up looking very similar to your own - hence the particular interest!

That's a great idea Harold. I think I will try that before I add fish later this week.

Harold Sukhbir said:

Hi Larry,

You've got some great plumbing skills alright! I have my FT inflow entering at an angle which creates rotation. The pump is center FT and rotation causes the solids to migrate toward this center suction point. This way I never have to clean the FT manually. This water movement sightly increases oxygenation and safeguards against anaerobic buildup. I believe it helps the fish to grow a little faster as well. If you're interested in using this design you can see it on my page.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service