Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Yes, I know that koi do not get pregnant, but does it mean that she is full of eggs? what should I do? I posted this also in the koi group, but it did not seem that that group was very active. Also I am not sure if these are actually koi they are really giant goldfish. IDK. Is there is a difference? 

Views: 611

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You might want to do a search on the internet for active Koi forums to see if you can get quicker help then.  I don't know much about koi other than they are really a fancy/specific kind of goldfish or carp.

I tried. I do not have the time to be lost in the labyrinth of cyber space. A good forum is soooo difficult to find. Any suggestions? wat about other fish? do they not reproduce the same? I just looked again. omg wat a mess.

There are many different ways that fish reproduce.  Tilapia are mouth brooders so totally different that most of the other aquaponic fish.  Koi breeding can take place without any help from us but people into breeding koi have stepped in and gotten really involved in helping out their prize fish.  I believe koi would breed much like goldfish and carp since that is really kinda what they are.

Ok, the mess will probably be cleared back up in a day or so.

Actually I meant the mess of the internet, lol. but maybe that will be cleared up too, lol.

TCLynx said:

Ok, the mess will probably be cleared back up in a day or so.

So I have been looking at this "disease" (I guess it is more of a symptom actually) called dropsy. which is supposed to occur to fish in when the water quality is not good, but more specifically when it contains high levels of nitrates. Would the water in an AP system contain high levels of nitrates?

Normally the nitrates get used by the veggies and in general even nitrates pretty darn high off the test kit charts are not going to cause disease quickly.

You might dilute your water sample with 9 parts of distilled water and run a nitrate test and then multiply the result if your nitrates are too high off the charts but most fish can survive a time with nitrates up to 400 without issues.  If your nitrates are that high, you need more plants.

How many plants do you have?

Christopher Brickey said:

...Would the water in an AP system contain high levels of nitrates?

I have a barrelponics system. the fish tank is a 50 gal barrel and the gb's r 1/2 that filled to 8 in of media. I only have one side full of plants at the moment. sry i do not know the dimensions off hand. would it help u to know surface area? 

I'm not an expert on filtration, but the "rule" is 1:1 volume in proportion with the depth. 8in is fine for  depth. 
"I only have one side full of plants at the moment."  I personally like to plant on the heavy side, so plant some fast growing plants, like lettuce, and plant slow growers, like tomatoes. Thin out the fast growers when the nitrates start to sink. 
Christopher Brickey said:

I have a barrelponics system. the fish tank is a 50 gal barrel and the gb's r 1/2 that filled to 8 in of media. I only have one side full of plants at the moment. sry i do not know the dimensions off hand. would it help u to know surface area? 

I finally got a pic. Hopefully it helps. The other side that is not visible looks the same as the side that is.

Attachments:

So I posted on a koi forum also and so I am just going to cut and paste this, but some advice from you guys would be very welcome since u understand the environment that i am trying to do this in. TYVM.

I woke up this morning to a lot of activity going on in the fish tank. then some time later there were little clear balls all over and the fish were calmed back down. I managed to trap a lot of the eggs (I assume they were anyway) on a piece of screen (I tried using spanish moss to begin with lmfao!, but all the little pieces of moss clogged the pump and I spent the day cleaning it and all the tubing out, lol) and moved them to a bucket, but there were still a lot of them stuck all over the tank. I tried to get them off (and in to said bucket) but they were stuck on there pretty good and i decided to just leave them.
 So what I would like to know is what to do now. r they ok in the bucket? should i put in an air stone? what about the ones in the tank? The problem with the ones in the tank is that the babies will get sucked in to the pump (I also worry about the semen getting sucked in there before the eggs are fertilized). I have been trying to put together a filter, for the pump, made out of screen on the bottom of a milk jug, but I am not sure how to attach the screen Maybe staples? I worry that the babies will still get sucked into it through the openings in between anything that i use to adhere the screen. Also I am pretty sure that they r not done spawning. Is that possible? If so, how long r they going to go at it? also, if so, i need to get things ready for morning so quick responses would be great, PLEEEAAASE.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service