Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I have a 1000 liter tank and only a 180 liter growbed how many fish i should have in the tank?
Living in tokyo gives you very limited space.
Maybe about 20 medium sized ones?

Views: 346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How big do you want your fish to get?
If you will harvest your fish at 200 grams, then perhaps you could support 20 fish but only if you are circulating your water enough and providing extra aeration as well.

I think with only 180 liters of grow bed, 10 fish would be pushing it even if you harvested them before they got to 500 grams.

That is a really large fish tank for so little grow bed.

TCLynx said:
How big do you want your fish to get?
If you will harvest your fish at 200 grams, then perhaps you could support 20 fish but only if you are circulating your water enough and providing extra aeration as well.

I think with only 180 liters of grow bed, 10 fish would be pushing it even if you harvested them before they got to 500 grams.

That is a really large fish tank for so little grow bed.
Hello TCLynx
Today i finished the set-up in the garden and everything works great.I try the fishless with peeponics.Looks good to me until now but but the drainage-noise is a little to much for tokyo the next house is only 5 meters away so by night i have to turn off the system.I would like some ideas to silence the syphon noise so i can run it the night thru.
I plan allready some more growbeds and with more of syphons i going to have a real proplem.
Help i need somebody
Tokyo-Alfred
Is it the splashing that is causing the noise issue or is it the slurping gurgling as the siphon tries to stop?

Another option might be to use a timer and flood your beds for 15 minutes or so each hour and let them drain slowly with a standpipe drain. This option might require a slightly larger pump if you are currently running only a tiny pump that gets the siphon in the one bed to operate.
It is the slurping gurgling thats the mainreason
Thank you for the answering
Alfred

TCLynx said:
Is it the splashing that is causing the noise issue or is it the slurping gurgling as the siphon tries to stop?

Another option might be to use a timer and flood your beds for 15 minutes or so each hour and let them drain slowly with a standpipe drain. This option might require a slightly larger pump if you are currently running only a tiny pump that gets the siphon in the one bed to operate.
Timer and stand pipe operation might be an answer for you since I don't know how to muffle the slurp. Splashing is easier to quiet down.
as I rule 10 L. per Fish 1000 L=100 fish and tweice the aria from your tank for the gowbed
dont turn your air of over night

manfred
When my siphon breaks the gurgling sound is low and muffled.I have to really concentrate to notice it. I think it may have to do with the siphon design and connected pipe run from it to the tank, which has two 90 degree bends of 1/2" PVC and over 4 feet long. This a link for design, if you'd like to give it a go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzZzjK7aFrA

alfred leslie goeltinger said:
It is the slurping gurgling thats the mainreason
Thank you for the answering
Alfred

TCLynx said:

Thank you all for the replies
Alfred Tokyo
the fish tank is 1000 liters, the grow bed is only 180 liters! I would not stock a to the fish tank with so litte filtration! Stock less fish, especially if you will be turning the pumping off overnight.
Manfred Wille said:
as I rule 10 L. per Fish 1000 L=100 fish and tweice the aria from your tank for the gowbed
dont turn your air of over night

manfred
I'm with TCLynx on this one. With 180 liter grow bed you should only be filling that fish tank up with approximately 180ish liters of water, and stock accordingly (i.e. about 10 fish) to get the right concentration of nutrients to your grow bed, and also get enough filtration for your fish.
Well, ya can probably have more than 180 liters of water but I would agree that you don't really want/need the fish tank to be full. Perhaps a little less than half full would be appropriate for the 180 liter grow bed.
Sylvia Bernstein said:
I'm with TCLynx on this one. With 180 liter grow bed you should only be filling that fish tank up with approximately 180ish liters of water, and stock accordingly (i.e. about 10 fish) to get the right concentration of nutrients to your grow bed, and also get enough filtration for your fish.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service