Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hello all

Well here is my system after 1 month. Alot of tweaking ,guessing ,reading and trial and error . This is not finished yet , I have a cross between gravel beds and floating raft  , I've installed a filter on the fish tank and pump water from the sump into the float tank . I've had no problems with not filtering my floating system and in fact the lettuce grows so fast I have to give it away. My fish tank is buried in the ground half way and I keep 28 6"catfish and 8 koi in it ,I had a problem with draining the tank because the slope was only about 3-4" . The fix for that was dropping an air stone in the drain line and now it acts like a pump in pumping out the water but it only drops it about an inch below the normal drain level. My system has full sun all winter and summer and plan on a greenhouse once every other project is finished  HAHAHA. Here is something I've been thinking about the air system, how about using a air compressor OIL_FREE 120 psi 3gal tank with a extra tank 5-10 gal and a regulator so you can set the pressure down to 2 psi . So pump the tanks up to 120psi the lets the tanks bleed down to 5 psi then start the cycle all over. Don't know if that would be more efficient?  Plan on installing a bigger floating raft system and seeing what I can grow. The pictures of the lettuce are 2 weeks apart.

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looking real good. 

That looks great. I have to ask though if you have a good working relationship with the local critters? Here, I would be in constant communication with raccoons, fox, cats, skunk , and that's just the ground level neighbors. Are you planning any specific defenses, or do you rely on the honor system?

I have a 2 ac.pond about 50ft away long with woods behind me and 150yards behind that is soybeans  We have every critter you can name and not one problem. Did have 2 of the heads of broccoli eaten from an raised beds out of 6 but that has been it Now bugs are another story but i pick most of them off.

Glenn said:

That looks great. I have to ask though if you have a good working relationship with the local critters? Here, I would be in constant communication with raccoons, fox, cats, skunk , and that's just the ground level neighbors. Are you planning any specific defenses, or do you rely on the honor system?

Wow very nice, looking great!!! I cant tell for sure about your totes you cut in half, but you need to paint those if you havent already. If you dont paint them the sun will break them down faster than you will want them to.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service