Date: April 16 - 9:00am - 5:00pm
Location: GrowHaus 47th and York, Denver, Co
Registration: Email Tawnya@coloradoaquaponics.com
Join us April 16 for a hands-on aquaponics intensive workshop providing valuable information and skills.
This class will provide participants the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of aquaponics in a living classroom environment at The GrowHaus
, a non-profit urban farm and marketplace in the Elyria-Swansea neighborhood. The course will include a brief classroom lecture, an overview of two different aquaponic systems and hands on construction building a personal aquaponics system using an IBC container. It is recommended (but not essential) that participants have previously attended the Introduction to Aquaponics workshop. This course covers the major topics listed bel
- System components and sourcing
- Aquaponics design and location considerations
- Growbed, plant crop, fish tank size, stocking density and feed ratios
- Hands-on construction of an IBC tank system
- Building a bell siphon and assembling other plumbing parts
- Filling the system with media and water
- Fishless and fish cycle startup procedures
- Discussion of fish transportation and stocking the tank
- Seeding, transplanting, rotational planting, plant health and harvesting
- Daily operations and maintenance
The IBC systems built during class will be used for upcoming aquaponics demonstrations for local schools. If you are interested in building your own system during class to take home with you, we can make special arrangements to have additional materials on hand for a designated fee. Please let us know in your reservation request if you are interested in this option.
Since the class is held in a greenhouse, dress for both hot and cold temperatures. Please bring a sack lunch and snacks for yourself or to share with the group. There are very few food service options available in the area.