Hands-on Aquaponics Workshop
Date: Juy 24th
Join us for a hands-on aquaponics intensive workshop providing valuable information and skills. The cost of the course will help cover the system materials required to build an IBC aquaponics system.
Course Description: This class will provide participants the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of aquaponics in a beautiful mountain setting at Woodbine Ecology Center, a living classroom environment addressing the fundamental social and ecological issues of our times. Woodbine programs offer the skills and resources necessary for egalitarian, self-reliant, and sustainable living. By promoting and integrating indigenous values and sustainable community we seek to re-establish our balance in the circle of life.
The course will include a brief classroom lecture and hands on construction building a personal aquaponics system using an IBC container (shown on right). It is recommended (but not essential) that participants have previously attended the Introduction to Aquaponics workshop (provided at Woodbine on Saturday July 23rd for an enjoyable and informative Aquaponics Intensive weekend.
This course covers the major topics listed below...
- System components and sourcing
- Aquaponics design and location considerations
- Growbed, plant crop, fish tank size, stocking density and feed ratios
- Hands-on construction of an IBC tank system
- Building a bell siphon and assembling system plumbing
- Filling the system with media and water
- Fishless and fish cycle startup procedures
- Discussion of fish transportation and stocking the tank
- Seeding, transplanting, rotational planting, plant health and harvesting
- Daily operations and maintenance
The IBC systems built during class will be used for an aquaponics demonstrations at Woodbine. If you are interested in building your own system during class to take home with you, we can make special arrangements to have additional materials on hand for a designated fee. Please let us know in your reservation request if you are interested in this option.